Safe speed for operating the sunroof

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Hi guys

I've scoured the online manual and Google trying to find an answer but nothing yet. So i hope there is in fact just a sensible answer/recommendation that people who had sunroofs before follow?

So. what would be TOP speed once can operate sunroof at?
I'd imagine opening can be done at any speed, as the wind would actually help.

However i noticed i couldn't close it while doing about 50mph and had to slow down to close before joining the 70mph motorway. Luckily i was all alone on the joining road so could do so safely. It actually closed nearly all the way, until it needed to lower the wind net but then pinch protection activated.

I realise this was in fact just bad planning on my side, but i didn't want to suffer through the noise (and possibly damage the sunroof) if driving with it open at highway speeds

Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Personally l wouldn’t operate a sun roof at more than about 30mph.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Yeah i wouldn't either, i was enjoying the cloud break and sun and got carried away. So last minute decided to take a different route and Google rerouted via motorway so bam! it sounded worse than a crap plane taking off lol
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

We test drove a VX40 today. The panoramic roof was fabulous, the best option to have in my opinion
Bob

Post by Bob »

Lightning wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:44 pm We test drove a VX40 today. The panoramic roof was fabulous, the best option to have in my opinion
In 20 months have only ever opened ours once, and that was to test it! :lol:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I actually love driving with it open when sunny and weather allows (which it doesn’t seem to do very often lol)... but just city traffic so no high speeds. The few stretches of 40mph are too noisy already
varavital

Post by varavital »

I open and close my sunroof at speeds of 150kmh. No problem at all...
The road is more important than the destination.