Start/Stop

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

Our ACC (adaptive cruise control) is featured with stop/start action. I mean, when ACC is on and the car in front of us stops, our car also stops . Then if the front car moves in a short period , our car also moves. But if the front cars stops longer , our car's stop start system engages and shuts the engine. The car is in the D mode, no auto hold symbol appears but the car stops and engine shuts down. So if a longer red light comes to my way , I activate ACC and so, keep the engine shut without pressing the brake pedal. Not always possible but it works sometimes.
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT

Northerntourer

Post by Northerntourer »

I have the same problem with stop /start since service last week. Now to keep engine off I have to apply pressure on the brake pedal. Went in at the weekend, sales team only. Telephoned today they understood the problem but advise that once software applied they cannot undo it and also they cannot refuse to install the software otherwise Volvo warranty no longer applicable. Simply a shambles.
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

I called my dealer's mastertech yesterday. Hes aware of the problem and has the latest news. He says software upgrade to solve this problem will be available at 40th week of this year ( Sep 28th-Oct 2nd).
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

x-rayted wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 pm I called my dealer's mastertech yesterday. Hes aware of the problem and has the latest news. He says software upgrade to solve this problem will be available at 40th week of this year ( Sep 28th-Oct 2nd).
Found a temporary (and not so elegant) fix to the auto-hold - auto stop/start not working at the same time problem: With auto-hold on and auto stop/start off, when you come to a standstill, take your foot off the brake (and let auto-hold do the braking) and then activate auto stop/start. The engine will shut off and will remain off until you press the gas pedal (you won't have to keep your foot on the brake). I use this method when there is a long red light, or something similar. Still, looking forward to that official software fix!
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I'll tell you what I do, deactivate the stop/start function every time I start up!
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

It can be a pain but I still love the tranquility when the engine shuts at red lights, not to mention the emissions and fuel consumption benefits it brings. The idea that nothing comes out of the exhaust pipe, albeit for a very short time, makes me feel good about myself.
morganj

Post by morganj »

One of my reasons for going for the recharge was the very clunky stop-start on my last 2 cars.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

frtsrm wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm
Found a temporary (and not so elegant) fix to the auto-hold - auto stop/start not working at the same time problem: With auto-hold on and auto stop/start off, when you come to a standstill, take your foot off the brake (and let auto-hold do the braking) and then activate auto stop/start. The engine will shut off and will remain off until you press the gas pedal (you won't have to keep your foot on the brake). I use this method when there is a long red light, or something similar. Still, looking forward to that official software fix!
Clever solution ! I certainly will try
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

My stop/start has also stopped working several weeks ago. I tried the solution suggested but it didn't work. Car went in for service yesterday so I mentioned the problem. Apparently, "the stop/start worked for the technician on the test drive" (I'm not convinced). When I picked up the car the stop/start symbol is still greyed out and doesn't operate. I've read in some other forum that there's been a problem with the "support battery" which enables the stop/start so even if the main battery is OK and fully charged it may still not work. I've asked the dealer for his view....Anyone else heard of this?
D4 R-design in black.
Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs »

After many weeks of small journeys, yesterday after a relatively long journey my Stop/Start system finally received enough charge and started once again to switch my engine off at traffic lights.