Keyless entry security

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 960

Post by Deleted User 960 »

Hi all

Are people aware of the security weakness that keyless entry systems are prone to? I ask this because I stumbled across an article today saying that keyless systems are capable of being hacked without you knowing, and your pride and joy being nicked as you sleep. Apparently thieves somehow fool your key into sending a signal which they then intercept and use to unlock your car.

A cheap and cheerful solution is to keep your keys in a 'faraday box' i.e. a metal tin, when you're at home. A more hi-tech solution was suggested by a colleague however, who suggested an 'Autowatch Ghost CANbus Immobiliser'. This looks a great system, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with Volvos (judging by the compatibility checker on the Autowatch website).

I'd like to think that Volvo has solved the keyless entry security weakness,,,,,,but in case they haven't, has anyone had any experience of the Autowatch system, and whether it would be compatible with the XC40? There's also no mention on the website of how this may or may not affect your warranty, but it does say it's undetectable!

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162

Not heard of "Autowatch"
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 »

Never had Keyless entry before so really can't comment on there effectiveness, but you can buy a faraday pouch on ebay that should combat the problem and they will fit in your pockect for when you're out and about.
Harrydog

Post by Harrydog »

As I understand it this will always be an issue, the key has to constantly send a signal, when it gets an answer from the car it then sends the unlock one so you pull the handle and the car unlocks.
All the barstuards have to do is wander around with a receiver, stand by the house, grab the signal and re transmit it to a buddy near the car, they can then unlock and start it.
I don't know why the key doesn't have to be in and remain in the car to run the engine.
Back to the 70s with a KrookLock!!!