where to buy

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
K854

Post by K854 »

Besides the obvious Main dealer or Car Wow are there any other places people would recommend to get a good discount on a new XC40 ?
ta

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Volvo affinity programme gives a decent discount, cars through most if not all dealers, for members of various organisations, caravan club for one, Royal yachting association, volvo owners club, Google for full list,. Gives 7. 5-10% discount on car, packs and accessories, plus dealer contribution up to 1000,if you're in one of them, maybe worth asking,or even joining if it's a better deal than on offer by negotiation?
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

In the weeks leading up to the launch of the XC40 (February 2018) I had quotes from several brokers, all were pretty good, but deal I got through the affinity program with the IAM beat them all, bar one, by a fair amount.
The one they couldn't beat was from a broker based in Manchester, they came in over a £1,000 better, but as I'd never heard of them before I decided to go with the affinity scheme. I can't remember the name of the particular broker.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Best deal we could get was via CarWow - no one else could get near it.
Bob

Post by Bob »

One thing to bear in mind with CarWow, if the best quote happens to be your local dealer, and you then find that they can do a better deal, either directly or with one of the affinity schemes, they can't do the deal until a month after the CarWow offer or they'll be contractually obliged to to pay CarWow their percentage.
I fell into this trap and had to wait until the CarWow offer expired to take advantage of the much better deal I had with the affinity scheme. Fortunately, I'd made the CarWow enquiry nearly a month before the launch date for the XC40, so didn't have too long to wait.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Bob wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 am One thing to bear in mind with CarWow, if the best quote happens to be your local dealer, and you then find that they can do a better deal, either directly or with one of the affinity schemes, they can't do the deal until a month after the CarWow offer or they'll be contractually obliged to to pay CarWow their percentage.
I fell into this trap and had to wait until the CarWow offer expired to take advantage of the much better deal I had with the affinity scheme. Fortunately, I'd made the CarWow enquiry nearly a month before the launch date for the XC40, so didn't have too long to wait.
Wasn't aware of that however our deal wasn't with our local dealer, they refused to move at all on price and did not appear either on CarWow. We tried using our RYA discount but that still couldn't get near the CarWow price from a dealer about 20 miles from us.
Mike Wazowski

Post by Mike Wazowski »

I've found after a few purchases the trick is to use carwow as purely a price finder. Don't actually purchase the car via carwow, just use them to help negotiation with your local dealer.

Ask your local dealer for a price, knowing full well that they know the carwow discount as well as you do, and be prepared to walk away if they don't match the best carwow offer - but don't worry that won't happen.

I haven't found a local dealer yet that doesn't match the best carwow price no matter where in the country the carwow best deal is.

I've come to the conclusion that dealers are in cahoots with carwow and don't ever expect to pay more than the best carwow deal.

The other trick in addition to the carwow deal is to purchase via a PCP and make use of the dealer or manufacturer deposit contribution, often a £1000 at least, sometimes a lot more, then cancel the PCP after one month. That way you get the best carwow price and get to keep the deposit contribution. You just have to pay off the PCP with other available funds you may have access to - such as savings or a personal loan.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I used Carwow as a price finder when I ordered my FE in October 2017. I was quoted a £500 premium by several dealers, so I quickly gave up with Carwow.

I used my local dealer who negotiated from list price. The car was ordered sight unseen based on reviews and only a couple of weeks after the order books were opened. It was only the second one that the dealer had sold.

The dealer and manufacturer deposit contribution made a worthwhile saving.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Mike Wazowski wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 am I've found after a few purchases the trick is to use carwow as purely a price finder. Don't actually purchase the car via carwow, just use them to help negotiation with your local dealer.

Ask your local dealer for a price, knowing full well that they know the carwow discount as well as you do, and be prepared to walk away if they don't match the best carwow offer - but don't worry that won't happen.

I haven't found a local dealer yet that doesn't match the best carwow price no matter where in the country the carwow best deal is.

I've come to the conclusion that dealers are in cahoots with carwow and don't ever expect to pay more than the best carwow deal.

The other trick in addition to the carwow deal is to purchase via a PCP and make use of the dealer or manufacturer deposit contribution, often a £1000 at least, sometimes a lot more, then cancel the PCP after one month. That way you get the best carwow price and get to keep the deposit contribution. You just have to pay off the PCP with other available funds you may have access to - such as savings or a personal loan.
Sort of agree but I think dealers won't risk doing the dirty on carwow, so the above only works if your local dealer is actually smart enough to not issue a carwow quote in the 1st place and rely on you walking through the door clutching a quote from another dealer. I have just ordered a V60CC and, even though carwow didn't list the petrol model I ordered, the dealer ended up paying the carwow commission after I'd got an indicative quote on the diesel - similar thing happened to me previously with a VW dealer.

Good news is that (according to Autocar) Volvo are currently offering the highest discounts of any manufacturer and you are absolutely right about the Volvo deposit contributions. Admittedly, my V60CC is probably a very low-demand model but I landed a £3,750 deposit contribution over and above a 10% discount on list (and that deposit contribution was on a 0% deal).

I placed my order on 2/7 - I've a sneaking suspicion that the discount may have been even greater if I'd been a couple of days earlier and caught the end of the quarter????
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Mike Wazowski

Post by Mike Wazowski »

Silver Moose wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm
Mike Wazowski wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 am I've found after a few purchases the trick is to use carwow as purely a price finder. Don't actually purchase the car via carwow, just use them to help negotiation with your local dealer.

Sort of agree but I think dealers won't risk doing the dirty on carwow, so the above only works if your local dealer is actually smart enough to not issue a carwow quote in the 1st place and rely on you walking through the door clutching a quote from another dealer. I have just ordered a V60CC and, even though carwow didn't list the petrol model I ordered, the dealer ended up paying the carwow commission after I'd got an indicative quote on the diesel - similar thing happened to me previously with a VW dealer.

Good news is that (according to Autocar) Volvo are currently offering the highest discounts of any manufacturer and you are absolutely right about the Volvo deposit contributions. Admittedly, my V60CC is probably a very low-demand model but I landed a £3,750 deposit contribution over and above a 10% discount on list (and that deposit contribution was on a 0% deal).

I placed my order on 2/7 - I've a sneaking suspicion that the discount may have been even greater if I'd been a couple of days earlier and caught the end of the quarter????
All that I said was true for me in my experience over three new car purchases at three different dealers and brands of car. I and family members have pocketed max carwow discounts at other dealers than the ones offering the discounts and have made use of the contributions without carrying on with the PCP after the first month, so the car's were legally ours at the second month.
Just my experience. There's no real winners apart from the dealers, but I've been happy as well.

When I purchased my XC40 my local dealer HAD quoted on carwow at about 5%, I informed them that another carwow dealer had offered 9%, and they had no qualms in matching the 9%.