Base model XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Good morning everyone!
I found this forum while researching the XC40. We’ve been looking at the VW T-Roc which costs around £20,000 for the base model.
I’ve discovered that we can just about stretch to an XC40 but it would be the lead-in version “Momentum Core” with the 1.5 petrol engine in its lower state of tune, around 130bhp.
I’m happy with the “base” specifications (we’ve currently got a Defender TD5 where electric windows are the extent of the tech)

My problem is, l can find no reviews whatsoever of the base model XC40.
I’ve searched online and on here, l want to know if the 1.5 petrol engine is adequate in the “lead in” model’s 130bhp tune.

I would add that neither of us are going to be hanging on to the door handles on corners, we just need the car to not be lacking for day to day driving, or have to be changing down the gearbox as soon as a hill appears.

Does anyone on here own the “Momentum Core” XC40 or had experience of one, and is it OK?

Moss

Post by Moss »

Lightning wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 am Good morning everyone!
I found this forum while researching the XC40. We’ve been looking at the VW T-Roc which costs around £20,000 for the base model.
I’ve discovered that we can just about stretch to an XC40 but it would be the lead-in version “Momentum Core” with the 1.5 petrol engine in its lower state of tune, around 130bhp.
I’m happy with the “base” specifications (we’ve currently got a Defender TD5 where electric windows are the extent of the tech)

My problem is, l can find no reviews whatsoever of the base model XC40.
I’ve searched online and on here, l want to know if the 1.5 petrol engine is adequate in the “lead in” model’s 130bhp tune.

I would add that neither of us are going to be hanging on to the door handles on corners, we just need the car to not be lacking for day to day driving, or have to be changing down the gearbox as soon as a hill appears.

Does anyone on here own the “Momentum Core” XC40 or had experience of one, and is it OK?
I have no experience with the XC40 base version, but I’m sure it’s OK. However, changing from an older LR Defender to an XC40 (or a VW T-Roc for that matter) will make a very big difference. Even in its base version, the XC40 is very much «technology», so it’s going to take quite some getting used to…….
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The T2 engine (129 hp) is not yet available for test driving, so it’s too early to have a qualified opinion about the engine’s performance. The only useful information is acceleration, it stands at 10.3 s for 0-60mph. Check your current car acceleration in the user manual, it should give you an idea abut the difference.

XC40 is one of the safest cars ever tested by EURONCAP, its frontal crash test score is above T-Roc. Also, XC40 weight is 1580 kg vs. T-Roc 1250 kg, giving Volvo a clear advantage in case of an accident. The trade off is mileage, the extra weight punishing fuel consumption.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Thank you for the replies.

The XC40 generally gets good reviews everywhere so l am sure it will be great, it was just the (relatively) low power that concerned me.

Defender is a completely different driving experience and can’t really be compared, we’ve had a Defender since 2006 alongside other modern cars such as VW Polo, Porsche 928S4, Lotus Elise S2, BMW Z3 3.0

Well, the Porsche was actually a 1989 model but still had all the “toys” fitted and cost an absolute fortune to run. I part exchanged it for a 12 year old Ferrari Mondial t back when the Ferrari was worth less than a new Mondeo.
Sadly that was also sold before the prices went up.

We’ve now managed to book a test drive in an XC40, not sure which engine though, and we will take it from there.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

I will report back on what it’s like!

Although my wife also likes the new Jimny which is another left of centre vehicle.

Although they‘ve ended production so new ones are hard to get without paying a silly price.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Have you test drive the Jimny?
I am lucky to own a Jimny and a T4. If you accept the performance and refinement of the Jimny, you will have no problem with the T2.
BTW it is not end of production for Jimny. It is still available in other continents. Because of 2021 fleet-wide emission rule, Suzuki stops supplying Jimny to Europe and UK.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Well, we test drove the VX40 today and both liked it.
It was the auto version and we would probably go for the manual.
The car has an air of quality even after test driving a used Evoque HSE which was also nice.

The salesperson was very nice, in fact probably the best experience we’ve had in a car dealership, she seemed genuinely interested which is a rarity these days.
Didn’t try to sell us paint protection, puncture insurance, fabric conditioner, gap insurance, etc.

but really didn’t want to sell us the base Momentum Core!

She pushed the Momentum version but it’s close to £29,000 where the Core version is £24,000.

The PCP offers and 0% finance offer were not applicable to the base model.
“Nobody has seen one or driven it” she said. “I am sure Volvo would build you one but it would be October delivery”
Also she said there were “no discounts available” on the base model....until l showed her the Carwow quote from her dealership at £24,000 (around £1200 off)
“Oh” she said, “that salesman isn’t in today but we would have to honour that, but my manager just told me there were no discounts on it”

She also said that the PCP would be no cheaper as the next model up had a MGFV of £14,000 after four years while the base model was £11,000.

For us, nearly £30,000 is too much to spend on a car. We could just about stretch to £24,000 from our original VW Polo budget of £16-18,000.

The VX40 was very nice though, much better than the T-Roc, in a different league in fact.
It felt well made, the tech was easy to navigate, the seats were superb, performance was good, and we thought it looked great as well.
Being their fully loaded demonstrator
It also had a “crystal gear knob” which my wife thought was interesting,
I asked if it also came with a tiara and the lady said no, but she would provide one if we wanted.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

The crystal gear knob means you were in an Inscription, cheapest is £34k without options.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Yep, it certainly had every option. I liked the satnav display in the instrument console and the electric drivers seat.
But it was out of our league price wise.
I wonder if you can get the sunroof on the base model?
Moss

Post by Moss »

Lightning wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 pm Yep, it certainly had every option. I liked the satnav display in the instrument console and the electric drivers seat.
But it was out of our league price wise.
I wonder if you can get the sunroof on the base model?
No you can’t. You’ll find all necessary info in the Volvo Cars UK price list : https://assets.volvocars.com/uk/~/media ... f?la=en-gb