Volvo torque converter - what do you think?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Well, this is a sort of goodbye from me as, for various reasons, I've done a deal on a new V60 Cross Country.

Unsurprisingly, my new purchase has led me to watching way too many utube videos & nearly every one criticises the Volvo auto box as being sluggish & hesitant. My previous 2 cars have been V.A.G. DSG cars and, whilst they were lightning-quick at changing gear, they were waaaayyy more likely to hesitate if I went from braking for a roundabout into a sudden go-for-it moment.

Whilst I can't say my auto XC40 has NEVER hesitated in such situations, I find it so much more predictable than the DSG boxes. Have I just been lucky and/or my driving style just suits a torque converter? What are your thoughts on the Volvo torque converter autos?
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

My auto box is faultless and easily as good as the X3 I used to drive. I read about the hesitancy before buying (2 years ago) and tried it out on the demonstrator - no problem at all. My main issue with the auto box is that when I drive my wife's manual A-class I forget to change gear!!
D4 R-design in black.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

xbimmer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:33 pm My auto box is faultless and easily as good as the X3 I used to drive. I read about the hesitancy before buying (2 years ago) and tried it out on the demonstrator - no problem at all. My main issue with the auto box is that when I drive my wife's manual A-class I forget to change gear!!
Glad to hear someone agrees. Sometimes I wonder whether journalists actually drive the cars or whether they just re-hash some words written 5 years ago. I don't know how much of the shifting is software-dependant but I'm sure it has improved over time - I'm still seeing reviews less than a year old that are highly critical????????
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Very happy with mine, having had a DSG VW Passat and a Multitronic (super smooth CVT) Audi A6 previously. I think that a TC suits the more relaxed nature of the XC40 but for something sportier I'd prefer the DSG.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Silver Moose wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am Well, this is a sort of goodbye from me as, for various reasons, I've done a deal on a new V60 Cross Country.
Have to say that I was very happy with the V60 that I had for 8 years before my XC40. I would have probably gone for another but my patience ran out waiting for the new model. I miss the versatility afforded by an estate, the load carrying ability of the XC40 is nowhere near as good. I too would go for the Cross Country - is it still only available as a diesel? That's the one thing that puts me off.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

balmoral wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:30 pm Have to say that I was very happy with the V60 that I had for 8 years before my XC40. I would have probably gone for another but my patience ran out waiting for the new model. I miss the versatility afforded by an estate, the load carrying ability of the XC40 is nowhere near as good. I too would go for the Cross Country - is it still only available as a diesel? That's the one thing that puts me off.
With you on that one - wouldn't have bought it with the diesel - now available as B5 also.

Love my XC40 but do prefer a jacked-up estate and the big thing for me is that, whilst the XC40 is the best practical design of any car in decades, the big door bins etc. do rob you of any chance of good audio. Bowers & Wilkins really is so good (and not quite as expensive as it once was) I just can't resist the change.

Also like the next-gen Pilot Assist, BLIS, + AST headlights.

Got such a good deal that 18 months of motoring will have only cost me £2k.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

2020 XC40 8 speed automatic feels much better compared with 2018 VW DSG 7. Shifting is very much software dependent, just had my software recall at Volvo and the shifting improved, becoming smoother.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Find the TC in the XC40 super smooth.

The changes up and down are not as lightning quick as the 6 speed S Tronic on our previous Audi Q3 1.4 TFSi, but the ability to manoeuvre at low speeds is better.

Also love the high gearing, 2000 RPM corresponds to an indicated 76 mph in 8th. The equivalent revs in the Audi would have been 2550.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I think the auto box is generally very good but the lag I sometimes get when going back on the throttle is awful. Your foot is telling your brain that you’re going to accelerate but with the delay it actually feels like your slowing down !! So frustrating.
I find it so annoying sometimes that I feel like selling it to be honest.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Many drivers used to one of the ZF 8HP variants will tell you that the Aisin AXF8Fxx (or TG-81SC as Volvo calls it) used by Volvo is a not so good automatic gearbox. In my personal experience, the Aisin is sluggish indeed compared to the ZF, but it’s very smooth so it’s well suited for relaxed style drivers.