New XC40 collected, no Volvo on call set up

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Am I correct in thinking that the in car SIM requires a PIN in order to activate the car as a hotspot? Also is the WiFi connection related to this ?
Still not had any success with the VOC set up but at least if I get the WiFi or in car hotspot set up that'll be better than nothing.

Thanks
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Metroman wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 am Am I correct in thinking that the in car SIM requires a PIN in order to activate the car as a hotspot? Also is the WiFi connection related to this ?
Still not had any success with the VOC set up but at least if I get the WiFi or in car hotspot set up that'll be better than nothing.

Thanks
No, VOC and the Vodafone SIM are entirely separate things and both need setting up.

VOC requires a PIN to set up, it uses your My Volvo ID account email address and has it's own built-in SIM which you won't see.

To use the car as a hotspot and get live traffic etc, you need to use the SIM in the boot. Dealers supply a Vodafone SIM with 100GB of free data for the first year for this purpose. This doesn't require a PIN but it does require a specific setup procedure including creating an account with Vodafone. You need to at least some of this yourself as the Vodafone account needs to be in your name for renewing it after a year, and should have received instructions from the dealer.
Last edited by jamie307 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

OK, so if the dealer has set up the P-SIM already, I have to create the account with Vodafone?
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Metroman wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:11 pm OK, so if the dealer has set up the P-SIM already, I have to create the account with Vodafone?
Hopefully they have set up the SIM properly.

If so, these instructions which the dealer should have given you should work...it's what I did (copied from Facebook group)

1. Create a wi-fi hotspot by going into Settings → Communication → Car Wi-Fi Hotspot. Ask the customer to choose a Network name and Password, then confirm. Tick the Car Wi-Fi Hotspot box, then press close.
(minimum characters: Network – 6 / Password – 10)
--------------------------------------------------
2. Connect the wi-fi device (phone/tablet/laptop) to the vehicle wi-fi hotspot by searching and then selecting the vehicle’s wi-fi name and enter the password previously selected.
3. Open the browser on the device and go to
www.internetinthecar.vodafone.com
(multiple webpage refreshes may be required) --------------------------------------------------
4. The customer should then create a new account by following the instructions on screen. If the customer has more than one vehicle, the same email address can be used, however you will need a separate user name
(tip: use the registration number as it’s unique).
NB: the SIM provided is a Global Roaming SIM, so the customer cannot use an existing Vodafone UK account (username) if they have one.
5. An email will be received into the registered email account. While clicking the ‘confirm’ button within the confirmation email is not required for account set-up, it does enable reminders about data usage.
The customer does not need to stay signed into the account, the account set-up purely loads the data bundle onto the SIM card. The customer can log into the Vodafone account at any time and on any device (in or out of the vehicle) to check on the usage of the SIM and also to purchase a new data bundle for various durations/data amounts.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Hi I didn't get any instructions like this all I have done is read the manual which suggests that PIN is required . There's no mention of creating accounts etc.
I get the feeling that this should have been done prior to handover?

Here is what I have read:

Fit a personal SIM card into the holder under the cargo area floor.

Note that a mini SIM is required to fit the car's card reader.

Press Settings in the top view.

Press CommunicationCar Modem Internet.

Activate/deactivate by ticking/unticking the box for Car modem Internet.

If another connection source has been used, confirm the option to change connection.

Enter the SIM card's PIN code.

The car connects to the network.

Note
Note that the SIM card used for Internet connection via P-SIM cannot have the same telephone number as the SIM card that the phone uses. If this is disregarded, it will not be possible to route calls correctly to the telephone. Therefore, use a SIM card with a separate telephone number for the Internet connection, or a data card that does not handle telephone calls and is therefore unable to disrupt the function of the telephone.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Ignore the manual it doesn't go into sufficient detail. If the instructions I posted above don't work I suggest phoning the dealer.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Thanks Jamie, I've already called the dealer so let's see what they come up with!