New XC40 collected, no Volvo on call set up

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Hello All,

I am finally an XC40 owner! Collected my new car on Saturday although I haven't had much chance to drive apart from on the journey back. First impressions are very favourable; I'm glad I went with the auto after all plus its a MY20 which is actually what I wanted as I was told later on when I cancelled my original order that I would be getting a MY21.
Its exactly the same spec. (actually a little better) and colour as I had ordered in March which I subsequently cancelled.

One problem that I am having is pairing the Volvo on call app to the car, I have the ID set up and also the PIN but when I tried yesterday there was no connection to the server. Also how do I get the in car wi-fi set up?

Thanks
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Congratulations on the new car.

Did the dealership fit the Vodafone SIM in the car for you? and id they set it up or ask you too? This needs to be completed before you can setup the car wifi.

As for the Volvo on Call - I had the same problems, best thing to do is get in the car and hit the Volvo on call button and speak to them. You don't need the Vodafone SIM for the call to work. It turned out the dealership had changed my email address from .com to .co.uk so I could not pair the car. Quick chat and all sorted in about 15 minutes.

Good luck getting them sorted out
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Thanks Darren,

I might even get round to updating the car profile now I actually have one!!

I'm not sure about the Vodafone SIM , nothing got mentioned on Saturday and the car says no wi-fi connection available so I think maybe not. I'll make sure that the dealer had the details correctly set up although I did provide this prior to handover.

I'll try the on call later if nothing obvious.

Thanks

Sean
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

This should all have been done for you by the dealer during handover.

I'm sure the present Coronavirus conditions have not helped, but don't be fobbed off.

I consider myself reasonably techie (for my age) but I'm not sure I could have got the SIM/on call/ wi-fi set up.

Luckily our sales guy was a twenty something who revelled in this sort of thing!
Last edited by 72 dudes on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

The set up seems straightforward enough providing all the details are correct, and if I get into real trouble my 18yr old son will get his sleeved rolled up!!
You're right about the dealer set up though, it all seemed a bit rushed but i'm sure they'll step up if required.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Mine wasn't set up either last year. However a call to the dealer and they set up oncall remotely and quickly. No onboard SIM in those days unfortunately.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I did not get a free SIM . I set up my Volvo ID online using my PC before picking up the car. Once I got the car I put a 24gig 2 year SIM from 3 in and followed the set up instructions in the car manual.
Finaly I downloaded the VOC app to my phone. Dont think I had any problems at all and everything worked.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Hi,
We managed to connect my sons iphone successfully but my windows 10 phone wouldn't connect. The SIM is in place but it looks like the set up hasn't been performed as I haven't created any accounts. Is this something that I can sort on my own or do I need dealer input?

Any ideas about WIN10 mobile and VOC app pairing ?

Thanks

Sean
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Metroman wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 am Hi,
We managed to connect my sons iphone successfully but my windows 10 phone wouldn't connect. The SIM is in place but it looks like the set up hasn't been performed as I haven't created any accounts. Is this something that I can sort on my own or do I need dealer input?

Any ideas about WIN10 mobile and VOC app pairing ?

Thanks

Sean
I may be wrong but as far as I’m aware the VOC system works by sending data from the car to a Volvo server and the VOC app then fetches that data from the server which the app on your phone then displays. I don’t think it’s done by a direct link from the phone to the car. That’s how you can lock/unlock car remotely even from the other side of the world. I’m amazed that Volvo have made the VOC app available on the Windows 10 phone OS, I thought android and IOS were the only supported phone operating systems??
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

The App is definitely available in Microsoft store, whether it actually works is somewhat hit and miss. For the in car wifi the SIM card requires a PIN I am guessing that this would (or should) have been input by the dealer or whoever set the function up?