Cycle Carriers

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
senwar

Post by senwar »

Is anyone going to be carrying cycles in/on their XC40?

I've previously thrown mine in the back of the boot or used a rear carrier. However, the former isn't the cleanest way and the latter is something I don't really like and did make a bit of a mess of my boot (marks).

Initially thought of the towbar but it was too expensive, so thinking of roofbars.

Probably a bit early to think here but I see genuine bars are on ebay already. Also thule ones.

Any thoughts on the best method? My only concern with roofbars is one of my bikes has an electric motor and is 22kg so will be a bugger to lift up onto them - especially for someone only 5' 6" as I am!
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Senwar, I'm going the Thule route as already have bars and cycle racks... I think all I then need are new footings? [Not worked out what those are yet.]

But yes I think the problem is as always getting the bikes on to the roof, and won't know how difficult that is until having a car to try out on.

If only one bike I'd be tempted just to throw in the boot (front wheel off) or complete with back seats down. Depends on what/who else you are carrying.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Thanks Boomer. I've had 2.5yrs of not being as fussed about my car as its been a company one. Getting my own back, I want to treat a little better.

Will see come delivery time though. I'd probably need to keep some step ladders in the car if I take the bike anywhere with a rack lol!

May look into the thule ones at some point
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I also will be using roof bars for bike racks, conveniently the Thule bars I have for my S3 use the same length bar and foot pack, just need to get the appropriate adaptors for the Volvo rails (kit 4073 for Thule bars) will post some photos once set up!
I believe the Volvo branded bars are made by Thule, or atleast their bike racks are, makes sense as Thule also hails from Sweden!
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

I'm going down the tow-bar route, as gives other options for towing (if I ever feel the need to!)
T5: Crystal White: 1st Edition: 20" Wheels: Lava Orange: Rubber Mats: Tow-bar: Proud owner since early April :D
senwar

Post by senwar »

MrParkson wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm I also will be using roof bars for bike racks, conveniently the Thule bars I have for my S3 use the same length bar and foot pack, just need to get the appropriate adaptors for the Volvo rails (kit 4073 for Thule bars) will post some photos once set up!
I believe the Volvo branded bars are made by Thule, or atleast their bike racks are, makes sense as Thule also hails from Sweden!
Hi MrP

Did you ever get this set up?

I'm going to order Thule 961b and the black carrier - just interested to know how these look.

Also, never having used the bars before, what is the likelihood of any marking on the roof fitting's themselves? I'm presuming no issue but wanted to ask,
WRM07

Post by WRM07 »

Understand the dilemma re cycle carriers, but I bit the bullet a few years ago with my previous XC60 and got a good deal for a towbar (fixed option) and the Volvo 3 cycle towbar rack. Now with the XC40, again got a good deal for the retractable on - works a treat - and obviously kept the rack. I'd be a little worried about having to use stepladders to access the rack - far too close to the shiny new paintwork for my liking!
I'd ask your garage to give you a deal on fitting the towbar when the car arrives (pre delivery to you) and see what they'll offer, might almost be as good as the roof options?
First Edition, D4 Auto, AWD, Crystal White, 20" alloys, on the road since April.
senwar

Post by senwar »

WRM07 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:18 pm Understand the dilemma re cycle carriers, but I bit the bullet a few years ago with my previous XC60 and got a good deal for a towbar (fixed option) and the Volvo 3 cycle towbar rack. Now with the XC40, again got a good deal for the retractable on - works a treat - and obviously kept the rack. I'd be a little worried about having to use stepladders to access the rack - far too close to the shiny new paintwork for my liking!
I'd ask your garage to give you a deal on fitting the towbar when the car arrives (pre delivery to you) and see what they'll offer, might almost be as good as the roof options?
Thanks for the response.

I've already got mine (had it 4 months) and its a lease so the towbar option was never considered due to additional cost over the deal. It would have knocked the car value over 40k as well resulting in greater tax

The retractable towbar would have been preferred and I would have probably done it regardless had I bought the vehicle.
Bob

Post by Bob »

senwar wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm …. It would have knocked the car value over 40k as well resulting in greater tax
It would, but only if it was a factory fit option. If fitted as a dealer option it doesn't affect the tax.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Vaerlose, DK

Post by Vaerlose, DK »

We didn't consider other options than the tow bar with a Thule VeloCompact carrier for two bikes. It's easy to mount (I am 76), and the bikes are secure and not damaged. The carrier can be tilted for access to the luggage compartment. The are no limitation on ferries, indoor parking, car trains etc.
It was expected that the BLIS does not work, but it was a disappointment the Pilot Assist is not available when the tow bar is used. I wonder why?
XC40 Momentum, First Mover. T5 aut. AWD. Onyx Black, 18". On the road since March '18.