Damaged rear tyre - Replace 1 or 2 tyres?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Griff0n

Post by Griff0n »

Hi,

I just replaced a damaged rear nearside tyre (Michelin Primacy 4) on my XC40 with a new one. Then I read a few forum posts where people are recommending that both tyres on the same axle are replaced.

I've done 10,000 miles on the original rear tyre so there is reasonable tyre wear now. So for the XC40 should I also replace the other rear tyre to keep the tread the same on both rear wheels? What's standard practice here?
Silver XC40 Momentum T4 AWD - Delivered March '19

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've had a look in the XC40 user manual and there is nothing to say both tyres on the axle should be replaced. However they do say the same make should be on the car.

Your tyres at 10K at mid life...you could change both and keep the OK one as a spare in case you get another puncture? But then it will often only fit one side of the car and sod's law if you get another puncture it will be on the other side.

With AWD I personally would be tempted to replace both given the tyres are mid-life.
Last edited by blastpipe on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Depends how flush you are!
gt40

Post by gt40 »

I've always replaced tyres in pairs or full sets; call it being careful/stupid/OCD/too much money or whatever.

I just like balance
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I was in just this situation with my previous car, an AWD Skoda Yeti, and decided to replace both tyres and keep the half-worn good one as a spare (co-incidentally, mine were also Primacy). A few weeks later I had another nail through the shoulder of one of the remaining part-worn tyres, and asked my local garage to replace the punctured tyre with the one I'd kept as a spare, as the make, model, tread depth and wear pattern matched the one on the opposite side.
The garage refused, saying that they are not allowed to fit part-worn replacements - only new!

As I'd bought all four of the originals at the same time I did persuade them to look at the punctured one and at my spare and they did then realise that both were from the same original batch (and they both matched the one remaining original on the other side) and so they did agree to do what I wanted - but only because they knew me and believed me when I said that the spare tyre had come off the same car only a few weeks earlier!
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Gnomeface wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:00 pm I was in just this situation with my previous car, an AWD Skoda Yeti, and decided to replace both tyres and keep the half-worn good one as a spare (co-incidentally, mine were also Primacy). A few weeks later I had another nail through the shoulder of one of the remaining part-worn tyres, and asked my local garage to replace the punctured tyre with the one I'd kept as a spare, as the make, model, tread depth and wear pattern matched the one on the opposite side.
The garage refused, saying that they are not allowed to fit part-worn replacements - only new!

As I'd bought all four of the originals at the same time I did persuade them to look at the punctured one and at my spare and they did then realise that both were from the same original batch (and they both matched the one remaining original on the other side) and so they did agree to do what I wanted - but only because they knew me and believed me when I said that the spare tyre had come off the same car only a few weeks earlier!
May I ask if your used spare rubber is already mounted to the rim or you needed to ask the tyre fitter to do it?

For the former you don't need anyone's permission using it on your car, don't you?
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I didn't have a spare rim, so it was just the tyre itself and I needed a tyre fitter to remove the damaged tyre and fit my spare rubber.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
UTC

Post by UTC »

blastpipe wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:15 am I've had a look in the XC40 user manual and there is nothing to say both tyres on the axle should be replaced. However they do say the same make should be on the car.

Your tyres at 10K at mid life...you could change both and keep the OK one as a spare in case you get another puncture? But then it will only fit one side of the car and sod's law if you get another puncture it will be on the other side.

With AWD I personally would be tempted to replace both given the tyres are mid-life.
Why do you say the tyre will only fit one side. I don't think the tyres are limited to one side - they don't have a rotation arrow present, only an "outside" indicator.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm
Why do you say the tyre will only fit one side. I don't think the tyres are limited to one side - they don't have a rotation arrow present, only an "outside" indicator.
Just referring to what the user manual says - Page 531. Tyres that are designed to rotate in one direction may be fitted to the XC40.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
UTC

Post by UTC »

blastpipe wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 pm
UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm
Just referring to what the user manual says - Page 531. Tyres that are designed to rotate in one direction may be fitted to the XC40.
Yes, that's the case. The Michelin Primacy 4 tyre isn't a uni-directional tyre though. It can be fitted either side.