Rear Head restraints

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I suppose if you have the electric drivers seat and a wife who is shorter than you then it's not too much of a problem! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

UTC

Post by UTC »

Don't you just hate it when the TV remote isn't by your side, and you have to get up
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:05 pm
eugen61 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:41 am I also find it bizarre that rear head restraint folding is no longer a standard feature in the MY21. As already pointed out, tall drivers will have to move forward the seat in order to accommodate rear seats folding. I’m 6’ 3” tall and my driving position requires the seat to be all the way back, I would not have a proper driving position with my seat moved 2” forward.

I can understand marketing tactics that push customers to upgrade to expensive packs with unneeded features, but in this case I’m flabbergasted to see Volvo going against their core philosophy of safe driving.
Does anyone here actually have a XC40 :D

It just doesn't work like that !!

1) You move the front seat forward...

2) You lower the rear seat...

3) You move the front seat back, all the way if you are tall.

The front seat does not need to be kept in a forward, compromised, position. Even with the front seat at its farthest back it does NOT touch the rear head restraints.

Incidentally, this is the same design as I've experienced on every car I've ever had with folding rear sets - you move the front seat forward, you lower the rear, you move the front seat back.
Nope, in the XC40 doesn’t work the way you describe it. With folded rear seats AND unfolded head rest you can no longer move the front seat all the way back, you loose 2” of legroom.
UTC

Post by UTC »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:18 pm
eugen61 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:41 am I also find it bizarre that rear head restraint folding is no longer a standard feature in the MY21. As already pointed out, tall drivers will have to move forward the seat in order to accommodate rear seats folding. I’m 6’ 3” tall and my driving position requires the seat to be all the way back, I would not have a proper driving position with my seat moved 2” forward.

I can understand marketing tactics that push customers to upgrade to expensive packs with unneeded features, but in this case I’m flabbergasted to see Volvo going against their core philosophy of safe driving.

The front seat does not need to be kept in a forward, compromised, position. Even with the front seat at its farthest back it does NOT touch the rear head restraints.

Incidentally, this is the same design as I've experienced on every car I've ever had with folding rear sets - you move the front seat forward, you lower the rear, you move the front seat back.
Nope, in the XC40 doesn’t work the way you describe it. With folded rear seats AND unfolded head rest you can no longer move the front seat all the way back, you loose 2” of legroom.
Well I'm just glad I have the XC40 that I have. Perhaps I'll be able to sell it eventually as a one-off limited edition :) because I can do everything I've described.

I have the R Design T4 AWD MY2020. It has fixed rear head restraints. I put the front seats fully forward, I lower the rear seats (with unfolded restraints), I can then move the front seats to their extent i.e. fully back. At that position, with front seats fully back there is at least 50mm/60mm between the back of the front seats and the top of the rear head restraints.

I wonder if it's to do with manual vs electrically adjusted seats. Mine are manually adjusted with a lever beneath the seat. I can, without doubt, move the front seats to their farthest extent backwards and have no issues with the rear restraints.

How much extra do you think I'll get for such a unique version of the R Design - perhaps it's an "R Design Head Restraint" model.
Last edited by UTC on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm I suppose if you have the electric drivers seat and a wife who is shorter than you then it's not too much of a problem! :D
Yep, push the button and the seat goes in to furthest forward and highest mode! :lol:
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Well I'm just glad I have the XC40 that I have. Perhaps I'll be able to sell it eventually as a one-off limited edition :) because I can do everything I've described.

I have the R Design T4 AWD MY2020. It has fixed rear head restraints. I put the front seats fully forward, I lower the rear seats (with unfolded restraints), I can then move the front seats to their extent i.e. fully back. At that position, with front seats fully back there is at least 50mm/60mm between the back of the front seats and the top of the rear head restraints.

I wonder if it's to do with manual vs electrically adjusted seats. Mine are manually adjusted with a lever beneath the seat. I can, without doubt, move the front seats to their farthest extent backwards and have no issues with the rear restraints.

How much extra do you think I'll get for such a unique version of the R Design - perhaps it's an "R Design Head Restraint" model.
Thanks UTC for pointing out MY MISTAKE. You are RIGHT and I was WRONG. :oops:

Your reply intrigued me enough to check again the seat in my car, indeed there is no legroom loss and front seat can be moved all the way back whit rear seats folded and head rest unfolded. You restored my faith in Volvo’s dedication to their core philosophy of safe driving.
Last edited by eugen61 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UTC

Post by UTC »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 pm
UTC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks UTC for pointing out MY MISTAKE. You are RIGHT and I was WRONG.

Your reply intrigued me enough to check again the seat in my car, indeed there is no legroom loss and front seat can be moved all the way back whit rear seats folded and head rest unfolded. You restored my faith in Volvo’s dedication to their core philosophy of safe driving.
Thanks for that. Shame I can't claim it's a limited edition 😀
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

My apologies to Volvo's designers as well. Though I have the folding head rests, so no messing around with moving the drivers seat!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I think the differing views about the folding of the rear seat back can be explained by consulting the manual, page 177, where there is a note that the front seat may need to be moved forward in order to fully fold the rear seat back. Once the rear seat back is fully folded to the horizontal position there is an adequate gap between the head restraint and the front seat even when the front seat is set fully back. It is at intermediate positions that the head restraint contacts the front seat back. So my apologies to the Volvo design team for failing to read the manual more thoroughly!

V manual.png

browncamry

Post by browncamry »

Really. Really. Annoying. Thanks Volvo.

image.jpg