Pre-Conditioning & the mystery of the Parking Heater

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:26 pm
rhaleuk wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 pm This was a huge selling point for me. I do hope I can pre-heat the cabin in the winter. Genuinely one of the reasons I ordered.
It seems that as long as you are happy to (Remote) start up the car to get the engine running, you can.
thanks for the reply. I can cope with that!

Can we turn the seats and steering on via VOC does anyone know?
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

rhaleuk wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 pm
Can we turn the seats and steering on via VOC does anyone know?
Well I have only tried remote start properly once, and while it defrosted the front and rear screens, it didnt switch on my steering wheel and seat heaters. I have those both set to come on when I start the car normally and that works fine, so either I need to review the combination of settings or remote start does not activate those extras.

I only set the remote start for 5 mins, and it didn't seem to get the cabin very warm. Not sure how this feature interacts with the main heater settings. Need to experiment more perhaps with different settings.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

i would be very interested how you get on , with the pre - heating as this was one of the main selling points for me.
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I have set drivers seat and steering wheel to preheat via remote start, and can confirm both work well.

When entering the car after it has been remote started, the blowers are pretty much on full speed (I think this varies depending on engine temp, no point blowing cold air around), as soon as I press the button to start the engine (this is required even though the engine is already running) the blowers return to your normal fan speed ect... This is what I am experiencing at least!

I know this feature requires outside temperatures to be below a certain point, and vice versa for AC to operate via remote start, the outside temperature should be above certain temp.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

That’s v interesting MrP. Tried mine again this morning. Starting temp @ Car 0c. The pre-set seat and steering wheel heating did come on this time. No heater blowers but prob not needed.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I will have a look at how everything is set on mine when I get the chance, I mostly just pressed random things and that's the result I'm getting without paying too much attention to what I've set!

Edit; the Mrs last played with settings, she probably just set EVERYTHING to maximum heat haha :roll:
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

Thanks for the reply MrParkson. That’s great. That pretty proves what I want / need!
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
jbgillett

Post by jbgillett »

I am in the US and picked up the xc40 in late March. Set the steering wheel and seat to max heat when starting and those work as expected. HOWEVER, the remote start does NOT heat the car as expected. I expect the heat to come on in the car to whatever I left the climate control at. If I set the timer on the app for 10 minutes and go out to the car (with temp about -4C) it is only slightly warm and the climate screen reads OFF. When I push the button to start then the climate comes ON and goes to whatever I left it at. HOWEVER, if I just start the car normally the climate screen comes on to where I left it. Unless I am missing something it appears the Remote Start is a different starting condition from just getting in the car and starting it. Therefore , the car doesn't really heat. I have called Volvo and they say that it should come up to 22C. They also asked if I set the app for the max of 15 minutes. Do I really want to waste 15 minutes of petrol and dump more pollutants into the atmosphere? THIS IS ALL WRONG! The climate system should come on (from the app) to whatever it was left at when parked and heat up. That is the reason why people remote start the car, not to prep the car for driving. Really what should be available is the ability to set the temperature from the app (in future years it would be cool to set the temperature and then have the app notify you when the temperature is reached but that would require additional temp. sensors). I am really frustrated with this as I feel this is a programming error or just really bad planning/design. It doesn't work the way it should and IS a major flaw when you live in cold winter climate as I do. Please let me know if I am totally missing something as neither the dealer or Volvo seems to understand the issue.
User2506

Post by User2506 »

For those who were worried about leaving a car unattended, as ex plod I can assure that its only an offence in the UK if the car is on a public road/highway. It is perfectly legal to leave a car unattended and running in your drive, hope this helps.
FE D4 AWD Auto Crystal White. Interior Black Leather Buck Suede. Extras: Dog Guard, Boot Mat. Picked up 2nd June.
Cholsey

Post by Cholsey »

pjm007 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm
wakey wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Can u see this screenshot?
Yes can see it now.

Sorry but I don’t believe that dealer interpretation. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my brand new battery, but the key issue is that to do what he/she suggests needs a Parking Heater and there are none fitted to XC40s.
Hi PJM007 - just ran the diagnostics check on the app and the result shows positive for a heater. Suggests to me that my car does have a heater. Thoughts?

B9AED41C-68A3-4160-AC9F-DFBC75122C65.jpeg

XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May