Insurance premiums

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Some weeks ahead of needing to renew my insurance, I tried the Aviva on-line website for a "straightforward quote" only to get a message that I must call an adviser. After a few minutes on hold, I was told that Aviva could not provide insurance because my car (a Momentum T3 auto) is listed in risk category 47 and the company does not give cover to cars in this very high category for drivers of my age (over 80). I questioned this obvious error in their data but the call handler said he could only tell me what their system dictate. I had no problem with my present insurer in changing from a V40 to this XC40 and looking at other sources of information about the risk level, I see the T3 auto would be at level 21 or 22, similar to an Audi Q3 as one might expect. I have asked Aviva to confirm that this damaging error on their part will not prejudice my application to ther insurers. I am waiting for a reply.

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I am with Aviva and I switched from a V40 to an XC40 T3 auto with no change in premium.

I suggest you stick with your current insurer, they all have complicated algorithms that determine what profile of customer they are willing to do business with at a reasonable price.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

He can’t stick with his current insurers as they have stated that they won’t insure him with that car.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

I couldn't get a quote to change our existing policy when we changed, this was also Aviva (Quote me happy). They could not (or would not) quote for the Volvo because the details couldn't be found on their database despite me providing with a full list as per their demands. I however had already obtained a quote from them on a comaprison site.
The explanation was utter BS as they claimed we wouldn't have been able to buy!!
Went with LV instead who were a joy to deal with.
Shop around, it's worth it in the long run.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Have you tried a good broker Adrian Flux posts on here Dan I believe got me a good deal with LV
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Not true, Lightning. My present insurers are completely happy to continue my cover at a very reasonable premium. I simply went to Aviva to see what they might offer and I was dismayed by their reply. I understand they do not use the Thatcham Research Organisation risk assessment grades that I believe most other insurers rely on, but make their own judgement.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've heard previously that those over 80 are best sticking with their current insurer as unfortunately insurers are reluctant (therefore load the premium) to take on new over 80s drivers. My dad told me that too until he gave up driving..he's now over 90.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019