Keyless Entry & Relay Attacks

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:39 pm Just checked both keys/pouches. All ok - 😅
What about the car? Still in the driveway? 🤪

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:16 pm
DarrenF wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:47 pm There is a lot of scare mongering about relay thefts but truth is you just need to take a few basic steps to make it as safe as normal keys ( and in some examples safer!) BTW they do not hack the signal just relay the signal - that is why it is so easy and cheap to but these relay sets they use.

1) Don't have your keys in line of sight from any windows (you should do this for all keys anyway and never have them by the font door)
2) When not in use pace them in a Faraday pouch
3) When you go out don't leave your keys on show (restaurant tables etc)

I have seen a lot of scare mongering about this on Facebook usually followed by ' this pouch will protect you'. You do not have to spend money on Faraday pouches (I brought a cheap set of 2 from amazon) and can use anything metal (tin foil etc). Best thing to do is to test them by trying to open your car with your keys in the pouch - if it opens they are no good if it stays locked you are protected.

One last thing - you will see a lot of hype 'relay thefts on the rise' etc . When I last checked ONS they did not have a field for relay thefts so this is an assumption.
It seams it’s no longer a hype: https://leasing.com/car-leasing-news/re ... -avoid-it/
I am not saying it does no happen but even the stats from that article are a complete joke.

"The car security company Tracker has revealed that 92% of the cars it recovered last year were taken without using the keys. This is an increase from 2018’s figure which stood at 88% and a worrying increase of 26% compared with four years ago. The figure in 2016 stood at 66%."

Loads of % but not 1 actual figure... strange that.

Also the 'taken without using the keys' could mean a wide range of things not just relay attack.

Not looking to change anyone's minds just putting my view across that a lot of this is scare mongering. Just take sensible precautions that's all.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The key tag (small key with no buttons) is equipped with motion sensor. Not sure about remote control key (big key with buttons).

https://fccid.io/YGOHUF8432MS/User-Manu ... 381697.pdf
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Helpful info thanks Eugen61
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I can confirm that my 2020 XC40 remote control key (big key with buttons) is also equipped with motion sensor. https://fccid.io/YGOHUF8423MS/Users-Man ... al-4372641

Check your key label next to the serial number, if the number reads HUF8423MS (big key, remove plastic cover and key blade to reveal the number) or HUF8432MS (small key) then it’s motion sensor equipped (MS stands for Motion Sensor)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Thanks..had a look at mine
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am I can confirm that my 2020 XC40 remote control key (big key with buttons) is also equipped with motion sensor. https://fccid.io/YGOHUF8423MS/Users-Man ... al-4372641

Check your key label next to the serial number, if the number reads HUF8423MS (big key, remove plastic cover and key blade to reveal the number) or HUF8432MS (small key) then it’s motion sensor equipped (MS stands for Motion Sensor)

Thanks for the information. I’ve had a look. No MS on my fob so I’ll guess I’ll keep them in the pouch. Does the sport key need to been in a pouch also?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yes, your sports key should also be protected with a signal blocking solution.
Deleted User 2675

Post by Deleted User 2675 »

I don't think many cars get stolen this way. It's fake news.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Deleted User 2675 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:11 pm I don't think many cars get stolen this way. It's fake news.
You watched the video right. So do you think they were actors? Fake news film productions presents...
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.