Flappy Paddles - the use of

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2663

Post by Deleted User 2663 »

gt40 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:32 pm
Tminus5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:50 pm
Not wanting to be argumentative but the car has a display right in front of your eyes that tells you the gear number you're in if you resort to the paddles!

Yeah but it doesn't have a display 50 - 100 metres down the road, where my eyes are normally focussed.
Watch out for pedestrians though; they're often a lot closer than that, and approaching from the side :D

Deleted User 2663

Post by Deleted User 2663 »

gt40 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:32 pm
Tminus5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:50 pm
Not wanting to be argumentative but the car has a display right in front of your eyes that tells you the gear number you're in if you resort to the paddles!

Yeah but it doesn't have a display 50 - 100 metres down the road, where my eyes are normally focussed.
Watch out for pedestrians though; they're often a lot closer and can approach from the side :D
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I had them in my previous car and like many of you only used them occasionally. Typically only when on winding but fairly quick roads when away from home. However 90% of my driving is either motorway or local roads where I never used them. Hence saved the expense on my R Design d4 and can honestly say I haven't missed them in 13 months of driving it. Might have considered them if I did a lot of faster driving on windy A roads or similar.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I gave the paddles another try today. I tried them first in comfort. I didn’t see the point or any benefit. However, I found using them in dynamic mode great and it all seemed to make sense. I did find something strange though. When you give it the beans, it reverts back to auto, kicking down in the process. I guess thats because had it been a true manual box, you would naturally change down a few cogs to get the slingshot required.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.