PHEV off road?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
SteveHansard

Post by SteveHansard »

Hi all,

I'm considering buying the PHEV XC40. I have a fairly short daily commute (20 miles there and back) which the eco mode will be perfect for.

But I also spend a fair few weekends up in Scotland driving along some fairly muddy and/or snowy tracks (no proper off road).

I'm a bit worried about a) the lack of AWD on the hybrid and b) the lack of BHP if the battery has run out and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Cheers,

Steve

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Can't comment on the bhp. But there are many who reckon a good winter tyre or indeed tyres like the cross climate will improve traction in the winter months that for most people will negate the need for awd anyway. Food for thought. Depends on your definition of a muddy track 👍
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
MoosePT

Post by MoosePT »

Hi SteveHansard,

I agree with blastpipe on AWD. I didn't properly tested the car on extreme off-road conditions but I guess it would do just fine, depending on how muddy is the track :)
About BHP, don't worry about it, even when your battery is drained the electric motor will keep on going. You'll always have 262 bhp at your disposal.

BR
Inscription T5 TwEn in Onyx Black - Business Pro Pack, Park Assist Pack, Fog Lights - Order placed: September 2019 // Delivery Date: April 3rd 2020
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

I believe the T5 plug in uses a version of the T3 1.5 engine but producing 178 BHP and decent low down torque too.

So plenty of power even when the battery is depleted.

262 is the total combined power output.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
MoosePT

Post by MoosePT »

72 dudes wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm I believe the T5 plug in uses a version of the T3 1.5 engine but producing 178 BHP and decent low down torque too.

So plenty of power even when the battery is depleted.

262 is the total combined power output.
The battery will never be completely depleted (there's always a bit reserved) and you'll always have 262bhp (on power drive mode) due to the combustion engine assisting the electric one.
Inscription T5 TwEn in Onyx Black - Business Pro Pack, Park Assist Pack, Fog Lights - Order placed: September 2019 // Delivery Date: April 3rd 2020
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Phev owner here, plenty of torque after battery is depleted. Saves about 20% for those occasions and for battery health reasons.

Have tested it several times. Even driven 100+km in highway after battery is empty and the torque is all there.

No AWD/FWD feedback though:(
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus