Tyres

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Player1

Post by Player1 »

xbimmer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:23 am I swapped my Michelin Primacy 4 tyres for Cross Climate (which came in useful during a winter break in Scotland in February). Usually swap to winter tyres and back to Summer in March but will now keep cross climates on all year. Anyone want to buy 4 off Michelin Primacy 4 tyres (235/55 R18V) with 6000 miles (around 6-7mm tread left)?
In what way did the Cross Climate tyres come in useful over the performance of the factory fit Primacy ones? I'm interested as I have the original Primacy ones fitted. To be fair they just seem fine and drive as well as other tyres I've used. But it would be useful to have other experiences.

xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

We experienced a fair bit of snow on the roads in Scotland and on the M6 in Cumbria coming home. Felt much safer on the Cross climates, but maybe the Primacy would have been Ok - never used them in the snow. On my previous cars Winter tyres were very much better in the snow than the Summer ones but such a hassle to swap them twice a year!
D4 R-design in black.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

xbimmer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:23 am I swapped my Michelin Primacy 4 tyres for Cross Climate (which came in useful during a winter break in Scotland in February). Usually swap to winter tyres and back to Summer in March but will now keep cross climates on all year. Anyone want to buy 4 off Michelin Primacy 4 tyres (235/55 R18V) with 6000 miles (around 6-7mm tread left)?
I did the same; picked up the car in September did about 4.5k miles on the Primacy 4 tyres before I swapped them for Crossclimates in November. Sold the P4s for £100 on Gumtree, so just under £400 for the swap.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Player1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am
In what way did the Cross Climate tyres come in useful over the performance of the factory fit Primacy ones? I'm interested as I have the original Primacy ones fitted. To be fair they just seem fine and drive as well as other tyres I've used. But it would be useful to have other experiences.
For me, the Primacy 4s were a bit understeery in the cold and wet on my car (FWD & 18" wheels) and they struggled up a quite steep tarrmac drive when wet, even in the warm South of France climate. The Crossclimates, in contrast, haven't missed a beat, including a trip to the French Alps early March.

I do find that this car is quite sensitive to tyres, and finding the right pressure is important.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Mine arrived today in Primacy 4's, a massive relief as I was fearing I'd get Pirellis which I've heard only bad things about.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I also swapped the Continentals for Michelin CrossClimate SUV. I’m delighted with the performance of the tires and will keep them on all year, in normal driving conditions they should last 30.000 miles or 5 years. It’s also a cost saving and hassle free solution, no more summer/winter tire change twice a year...
Last edited by eugen61 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

jamie307 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:50 pm Mine arrived today in Primacy 4's, a massive relief as I was fearing I'd get Pirellis which I've heard only bad things about.
Primacy 4 are excellent SUV summer tires as proven by the stringent test of the German Auto Club ADAC
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm
simmo

Post by simmo »

xc40 Inscription T3

Great Car, two and half years old 15,000 miles front tyres Continental 19" good for noise , wearing a little quicker than would have liked will have to change shortly.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Until recently, Volvo didn’t recommend all season tires, but now the new Michelin CrossClimate 2 is officially endorsed by Volvo and standard equipment for C40 Recharge. During multiple tests CrossClimate 2 vastly outperformed the previous version, so it could be on option worth looking into.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

Mine came with Continental EcoContact 6. Currently at 8400 miles and the front tyres are down to just under 3mm. I'm not overly enthusiastic with the accelerator, nor do I corner particularly hard. I'm quite surprised how fast they seem to be wearing down.