Dilema - cancel and re order or stick?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

So, got a quote through Carwow, local dealer came up trumps on price with decent enough discount for me to be interested.

Day of the launch, I couldn't attend to sign off on the deal as was in hospital (had surgery 3 weeks prior) so had to go the next day after the launch.

As the official launch had been so successful, the sales manager decided to withdraw all discounts bar the PCP contribution and free servicing. His attitude one of 'take it or leave. it, plenty of people want to buy this car'. They have offered to even give my deposit back, cancel the order so I can go elsewhere.

Suffice to say, I was not happy although one look at the car in the showroom and I was smitten, after having recent spine surgery the XC40 was fit for purpose, so I paid £500 to secure one of their cars coming in late March.

I now hear that Volvo have re opened the FE order books for a limited time and if ordered this route, I could have a car sometime in June/July with potentially a further £2k discount from another dealer.

Now I do have a px and have been given a fair price so would have to look at this too, in fact the price given is about £1k above other dealers.

Question is, what would you guys do, my dealer hasn't been great, salesman has, his general manager has been an a*** - would you keep the XC40 due March and just enjoy it or cut your losses and re order via someone else?
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D

brunel01

Post by brunel01 »

So you ordered with a discount and now they are refusing it?
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

brunel01 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am So you ordered with a discount and now they are refusing it?
Apparently on checking with Carwow, they can remove their offer, it's in the T&C's and because demand was so strong, they sold 5 on the launch night and have a fair few waiting on and hoping on cancellations, they simply aren't bothered.

Luckily they are up on the px price and as I need the car quick, I will probably go with them, just not happy on the way it has been handled, especially knowing if I'd have gone on the launch date, I would've got the deal! - as it happened I was having staples taken out of my back so wasn't in a position to go, and even on telling them that, they didn't budge.
brunel01

Post by brunel01 »

Telboy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 am
brunel01 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am So you ordered with a discount and now they are refusing it?
Apparently on checking with Carwow, they can remove their offer, it's in the T&C's and because demand was so strong, they sold 5 on the launch night and have a fair few waiting on and hoping on cancellations, they simply aren't bothered.

Luckily they are up on the px price and as I need the car quick, I will probably go with them, just not happy on the way it has been handled, especially knowing if I'd have gone on the launch date, I would've got the deal! - as it happened I was having staples taken out of my back so wasn't in a position to go, and even on telling them that, they didn't budge.
Sounds really underhand. Hope you are recovering well.
robbo

Post by robbo »

Hi

Think when you have to go back to them for warranty or service, This shoddy practice of the dealer will play on your mind.
If it was me I would tell them to do one and re-order, also I would try to sell your own private say through Gumtree doesn't
cost nothing. This is what I did sold my car through Gumtree in 2 days waiting for my new one May June delivery.
You can run your old car for a few months and when your new one is a few weeks away try Gumtree or auto trader.

If you have any problems with the car they always want you go back to the supplying dealer so your are stuck with the same
people that have no heart ,only things that matter is the bottom line (money).

Only my tuppence worth wish you back to full health in record time.

All the best Robbo
senwar

Post by senwar »

Did you have the deal in writing other than carwow after placing your deposit?

I had 5 offers change within an hour of the launch event. However they were reactivated two days later.

Pretty poor show from the dealer though
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Thanks for all the kinds word re getting back to full health guys, much appreciated.

Senwar - had the deal in writing on the Carlow site only although T&C's allow them to pull out of this.

Robbo - may resort to gumtree anyway to eack a bit more out of the px price, after all they are giving me about £1.5k more than other dealers and allowing me to use my car until the new one arrives so all not too bad.

I think the dealer has been really unprofessional here on the deal, however unless I look outside the XC40 and go elsewhere to a different make, there's no way of getting this type of car as quick as I'd like - it is such a comfy exceptionally well specced car and really ideal for my back situation, I often wonder if the dealer realises this, hence their stubbornness? Plus the XC40 is simply one of the best small SUV's out there at the moment as all the latest tests are confirming.

I guess I need to think hard on this, get the car soonish or wait until June/July and save about £50 a month.