Delivery / Handover process ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

As this will be the first new car I have ever owned and I appreciate these are unusual times but when I do eventually take delivery of my new XC 40 what is the procedure for taking receipt of the car ?

Is it 'normal' to take it for a test drive ?
How much of the tech is explained or are you just left to find out for yourselves ?
Have people been happy to just turn up, get in and drive away ?
I am interested to know peoples thoughts / experiences

Thanks
:D
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.

Ringer

Post by Ringer »

What normally happens for me is the salesman explains everything,about the car,and then a practice drive with him as passenger.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ringer wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 am What normally happens for me is the salesman explains everything,about the car,and then a practice drive with him as passenger.
And then you drive home and forget everything he told you...
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

When I collected mine the sales man and I did an inspection of the car together to make sure as ordered paint ok etc. He then handed me over to another person who took me through the cars features he even connected my mobile to the car. After a quick adjustment of mirrors and seats had a quick drive around the block with him to answer any queries. Then after finishing up the paper work a drive from Birmingham to Surrey which gave me a chance to appreciate the qualities of the car and fiddle with the toys.
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

I arrived, saw the car outside, gave it the once over on the exterior, went inside, paid the outstanding balance of the car, then went outside with the salesman.

I had a quick look around and inside to inspect. He offered to go through everything. I politely declined, as I've driven a car before 😀. And then I drove home.

Apart from a few errant software messages, mentioned in other posts, I've been very happy with my purchase.
Last edited by Deleted User 2490 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

For my current Volvo (not an XC40) a chap from the delivery contractor drove it from the dealership and parked it on my drive. I walked around it to check it wasn't damaged and then signed a piece of paper and offered to give him a lift to the station, which he declined in favour of walking to the nearest bus stop.

I guess some people don't read the manual so need to be shown where the gear lever is. Even if I was collecting from a showroom I would be aghast at an offer to take it for a test drive. I have heard of handovers taking hours but I wouldn't put up with that. Should be five minutes max - just give me my car and let me take it home.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 2490

A previous car, Renault Scenic, I bought new online. I'd seen the model on holiday in France and it seemed ideal for my family.

I didn't test drive it at all, just saw it on the Internet and ordered it. It was delivered to my house on a low-loader. Took delivery, signed for it, and then drove it for nearly 10 years after. Absolutely no issues in the 10 years.
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

ThunderGrey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:11 pm A previous car, Renault Scenic, I bought new online. I'd seen the model on holiday in France and it seemed ideal for my family.

I didn't test drive it at all, just saw it on the Internet and ordered it. It was delivered to my house on a low-loader. Took delivery, signed for it, and then drove it for nearly 10 years after. Absolutely no issues in the 10 years.

Blimey, that was brave. It's taken me 18 months to make up my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.
Deleted User 2490

Notsure wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:57 pm
ThunderGrey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:11 pm A previous car, Renault Scenic, I bought new online. I'd seen the model on holiday in France and it seemed ideal for my family.

Blimey, that was brave. It's taken me 18 months to make up my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been driving for over 40 years in both new and second hand cars and vans. The only car I've ever got in a driven and said "no way, that's not for me" was a Ford Orion in the late '80s. It was a test drive and I thought I'd met my maker as I took a bend. All other cars I get in and drive, they're all pretty similar.

The last three new cars my wife has bought have been picked out of the brochure, based on their colour. We went to the dealers, sat down, "we want this model, this engine, this colour", when can you deliver? "Don't you want to test drive?", "No thanks".

We always do our homework though and pick the cars we want.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Ordered mine sight unseen apart from press articles. 5 months before the showroom launch.
First time I saw one over 2 months later at a press static demonstration .
Car was showroom released nearly 3 months later and only then did I get to test drive. Fortunately I liked it.
Car was delivered 4 weeks later and handover took about an hour to deal with the final paperwork, uncover the car in the showroom inspect it and for it to be take outside. Phone and settings set up by sales person and once happy drove off.
I did have the opportunity to revisit the dealer a few weeks later to spend an hour with the dealership technical person to go through all the toys again as well as explaining them to Mrs PC who was unable to attend the original handover.
The car is easy to drive away. The technology takes a bit longer to master but most is set and forget.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018