Catalytic Convert

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Have been reading about cars in hospital car parks having their catalytic converters stolen. They were telling people how to park their cars to prevent this e.g. not parking half on road and half on pavement as this raises car and makes it easier to steal the converter. As the XC40 is quite high off the ground do Volvo fit a lock like some manufacturers do or a tray to protect it?

Minute

Post by Minute »

Is the XC40s catalytic convertor accessible from underneath? Many cars have the cat really close to the engine and can't be removed from beneath.

I guess the secret is not to park in hospital car parks, if that's where the problem lies.

😀
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Where I live here in California - Toyota Prius are a huge targets for Catalytic converter thefts and they are low to the ground. In one neighborhood in a city not far from me 12 Prius were hit on one night. The thieves had a jack and simply lifted the cars and took a sawzall cordless saw and cut them off and then went off to the next car. I heard the Prius Catalytic converters have a higher percentage of platinum in them and are quite valuable.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

bdalameda wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm Where I live here in California - Toyota Prius are a huge targets for Catalytic converter thefts and they are low to the ground. In one neighborhood in a city not far from me 12 Prius were hit on one night. The thieves had a jack and simply lifted the cars and took a sawzall cordless saw and cut them off and then went off to the next car. I heard the Prius Catalytic converters have a higher percentage of platinum in them and are quite valuable.
I did a bit of background reading when I first read the original post and to agrees with everything you have mentioned.

By all accounts the Prius have the catalytic converters in a handy place so it can easily replaced/removed which helps the criminals, plus no locking bar to slow them down. Also older cars have catalytic converters with more raw materials that makes them so much more likely to be stolen.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
PKM14

Post by PKM14 »

Good afternoon all. Following on from Plumber64's original question, I am keen to buy an XC40 hybrid but am put off solely by the rapid increase in cat-converter thefts as reported in the national (UK) and local (Kent) press.
Do you think that this is a reasonable concern or am I being too paranoid?! I have just rung my local Volvo dealership to be told that they weren't aware of any such problems with cat-converters being stolen...…..
Any advice or opinion on this issue is greatly appreciated.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Paranoid. I've not heard of an XC40 being targetted in this way.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
K1t

Post by K1t »

PKM14 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 pm Good afternoon all. Following on from Plumber64's original question, I am keen to buy an XC40 hybrid but am put off solely by the rapid increase in cat-converter thefts as reported in the national (UK) and local (Kent) press.
Do you think that this is a reasonable concern or am I being too paranoid?! I have just rung my local Volvo dealership to be told that they weren't aware of any such problems with cat-converters being stolen...…..
Any advice or opinion on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Most modern day vehicle cats tend to be fitted as close to the engine as possible (enables the cat to get to efficient operating temp. quicker) In volvo`s case it is generaly bolted directly to the tubo unit on the back of the engine block AND above the large front subframe assy. (see reprecentative picture) I`ve had a look at my T3 cat and it would NOT be a 'roll under the car with a cut-off tool' situation, at any time. So rest easy on this subject.Image

CaptureXC40 CAT location.JPG

XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
PKM14

Post by PKM14 »

Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply K1t, it is much appreciated.
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

Yes thanks for the reassurance and for posting the excellent illustration.