Tuning

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gmcrobb81

Post by Gmcrobb81 »

Has anyone used and would recommend a tunning box for the T4?
Xc40 T4 R-Design Pro, Black Stone, Lava Interior & Wireless Charger.

Klanky

Post by Klanky »

try superchips

Thay have national coverage.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I've used Steinbauer on a diesel golf,also on a JD tractor.
Works really well, ups HP by around 30%,only problem was we needed
a head gasket replacement now and again on the tractor but was a price
worth paying.
Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

I have previously used the DTUK tuning box on a Seat Leon which was excellent, a good increase in power and very smooth. They do a box for the T4 petrol which i think is worth considering.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tu ... -ccm-3/#go
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Am I naive in thinking this would effect your insurance and warranty etc?
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Nope, not naïve at all.

I suppose there must be a market for tuning but as someone once pointed out, surely the car manufacturers, who invest millions into the optimum tuning and specifications of their engineering efforts, would know what's best.

The tuning box for the T4 sounds like it upgrades the power to a T5.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Bluster

Post by Bluster »

Gray1969 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 pm Am I naive in thinking this would effect your insurance and warranty etc?
Yes, of course it would.

If you read the FAQ on many of the tuning websites it's quite clear as they warn you of such changes, and it's also, not so quite clear, that the use of them is to be done in a underhand way.

They aren't explicit in wording this particular aspect but many say that the device is undetectable in the computer log once removed, the device is easily removed, not leaving a trace etc.

Why promote such an attribute?

To me it's obvious that removing then this way will remove the need to report them as being used to the insurance, warranty providers etc.

If you've had an accident all you need to do is gently pull the device from the appropriate socket and you can absolve yourself from all responsibility.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Bluster wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:44 am
Gray1969 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 pm Am I naive in thinking this would effect your insurance and warranty etc?
Yes, of course it would.

If you read the FAQ on many of the tuning websites it's quite clear as they warn you of such changes, and it's also, not so quite clear, that the use of them is to be done in a underhand way.

They aren't explicit in wording this particular aspect but many say that the device is undetectable in the computer log once removed, the device is easily removed, not leaving a trace etc.

Why promote such an attribute?

To me it's obvious that removing then this way will remove the need to report them as being used to the insurance, warranty providers etc.

If you've had an accident all you need to do is gently pull the device from the appropriate socket and you can absolve yourself from all responsibility.
Bluster, you are spot on. Firstly, car manufacturers and dealers are not stupid. If an uncommon fault develops on your car in the warranty period, the dealer has a process to follow (by uncommon, I mean a broken drive shaft, blown gasket or turbo due to more power being put down etc) and the fault would come under scrutiny. Secondly and more importantly in my opinion, should an accident occur whilst driving, insurance would be voided. Accidents obviously vary in so many ways. The driver of the modified car involved in a RTA may not be in a position to remove the device or get it to the place that fitted it in order to get them to remove it. Insurance companies have departments to investigate fraud.
Or you could inform your insurance, pay the increased premium and take a chance that it will not cause an issue with the running of your car (people modify their cars all the time and have no problems).

But you have to ask why is more performance required in the first place? Living just on the fringes of London and Kent I find more and more speed cameras, speed bumps and 20mph limits are popping up😡😡😡. This coupled to the fact that the XC 40 is as aerodynamic as a fridge makes modding pointless. Then again, I’m driving a T5😊.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Gmcrobb81

Post by Gmcrobb81 »

The reason I was looking was not to only increase bhp but more importantly improve the mpg. Not that it makes to much difference as my car was due to be built on the day gent closed its doors. 😩😭 But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait 👌
Xc40 T4 R-Design Pro, Black Stone, Lava Interior & Wireless Charger.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Perhaps once you've had time to enjoy your XC40 you'll like the ability to choose the different drive modes...eco for mpg...comfort for a good compromise and then the dynamic. Personally I'd avoid tuning boxes on such an expensive car to have your warranty null and voided and have to pay an increase in insurance premiums.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019