Wash, Polish and Wax

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

I read in the manual that Volvo do not recommend polishing your car for the first year, but you can apply a coat of wax to protect the paint. I know a lot of polishes are abrasive, but I use Auto Glym super resin polish which I don't think is as abrasive. Do you still think I should leave it a year before applying a coat of polish?

Roy

PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

Hello Roy,

I would apply a good quality wax as soon as possible. But there would be no need to Polish for the first year. I think Volvo also advise not to use a car wash until after the first year too.

I have had mine over a year now and the Black paint is still like new. The initial waxing proved the right thing to do as it has provided some protection from the birds and my cat 🐾 🐾
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

Thanks for the advice. I never use a car wash, prefer to do it myself with the two bucket method and one mitt for the paint and one for the wheels
Cheers

Roy
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

PreservedKillick wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:00 pm Hello Roy,

I would apply a good quality wax as soon as possible. But there would be no need to Polish for the first year. I think Volvo also advise not to use a car wash until after the first year too.

I have had mine over a year now and the Black paint is still like new. The initial waxing proved the right thing to do as it has provided some protection from the birds and my cat 🐾 🐾
I’d have thought Volvo will advise never using a car wash as would anyone with any sense
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
CDR

Post by CDR »

Meguiars all the way, you’d only need to wax the car for a long time if done regular.

They do different compounds which are good to remove scratches and swirls, I’ve used the ultimate one for years now and with a soft applicator pad it will not damage the paint.

I also use the waterless cleaner which is brilliant and all you need is plenty of cloths so once it’s mucky turn the cloth over then stick it for the wash, I use several to clean the car. Finish is always good and far better than any hand wash place. (Don’t use this in the winter though with all the grit on the roads)
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

I use BiltHamber double speed wax, I like the finish and protection it gives, but It's a personal choice. The car is only 2months old, so I should have done this sooner!

Roy
PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

Bilt Hamber products are excellent 😉
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar
DrSaint

Post by DrSaint »

Like others, I suffer from the scourge of birdlime . I've used Halfords Bug and Tar Remover to reasonable effect but some of the more concrete deposits are difficult without a soaked paper towel in situ for a couple of minutes and a careful use of a plastic screen scraper. I use Autoglym Aquawax on my V40 which I've had from new. Followed Volvo advice and did nothing other than wash for the first year then applied the Autoglym. Three years later looks as good as new.
adrianmboud@aol.com

Post by adrianmboud@aol.com »

I have just joined the forum , and on reading your issue with birdlime , I use autoglym bird dropping wipes I simply lay the wipe over the deposit let it soften the deposit and very gently wipe it away ,Then gently wipe the area with a micro cloth which I keep damp in the buckets all the time,