Apple car play

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Hello all I wonder if you can help me.

I’ve just got an XC40 R design pro and I paid £300 cor apple car play

If I press the voice activation and ask the car to call someone it says “phone not connected” but if I ask Siri the call is made.

Am I right in thinking that the voice control button only works if I unplug the phone and use it via Bluetooth but if I want to use it via car play I have to do it through Siri?

Many thanks
Sharron xx

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hi Sharron. I'm an Android user, not CarPlay so, please bear with me.

Are you using a long press? For me, if I just have my phone connected by bluetooth, a short press is enough to make a call. If I have my phone cable-connected (Android Auto in my case) I have to use a long press to interact with my phone.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Issue

Post by Issue »

Page 481 of the Volvo XC40 manual says:

Some of the CarPlay functions (such as voice call and messages) mean that use of the car's own functions is stopped and CarPlay is shown automatically instead. If this behaviour is not wanted, deselect the display of the equivalent function inCarPlay under the phone's settings for notifications.
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Thank you Carl I will try that tomorrow xx
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Thanks Issue, yes I know that but I want to use Apple car play but I think I have to use Siri instead of the voice activation button.

Thank you xx
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

If you have iPhone connected via cable and use CarPlay then you have to use Siri to make call, ie long press on voice button, short press activates normal voice commands, which because you are using CarPlay will not let you make a call using the car commands, this is only available using Bluetooth. Using Siri will also let you read and send texts, only read is available using Bluetooth. Hope this helps
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Thank you Whiterdesign that’s exactly what I wanted to know, I thought it might be either one or the other but wanted to be sure.

Thank you and thanks to everyone who responded. Stay well xx
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Whiterdesign wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:33 pm Using Siri will also let you read and send texts, only read is available using Bluetooth.
I'm pretty sure when playing around with the car I've responded to texts using voice control when my android phone is bluetoothed to the car. Not sure if the same applies to iphone.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Hi Blastpipe

Yes I can use voice control if I don’t plug the phone in and use car play. It seems to be that you either use car play or Bluetooth you can’t have both at the same time.

Had I realised that I might not have paid for car play.

Thank you and keep well xx
squint

Post by squint »

Hi
I'm also having car play "problems". If use iphone 6S (I have 2), carplay doesn't always display properly unless I press voice activation button on steering wheel - or press the green carplay icon when ipod is also highlighted. If I use an iphoneX it works perfectly each time. Dealer thinks might be a software problem
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps