Warning triangle

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Volvo have thoughtfully provided a warning triangle in a storage location in the tailgate, where it should be readily accessible in an emergency. My problem is that I have struggled without success to open it! Having done the quarter turn of the catch, my fingernails are neither long enough nor strong enough to remove the cover. I could use a flat-bladed screwdriver but surely that is not necessary? What am I missing? Has anyone else tried to release this essential accessory without tools? What's the trick?

Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Hi, I understand your experience as I've been there too.. As you said you need to turn the know and get hold og the same knob and pull outwards. It is a bit poor in design to grip, but you can make use of a pliers and gently pull outwards till you see it happen (open) and get then the hang of it ::) Actually its like a hinged door.

Cheers

Jojo
squint

Post by squint »

My salesman didn’t even know there was one and where it’s located - and he’s been a Volvo salesman for a few years!!
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Warning Triangle Man

Post by Warning Triangle Man »

It's got to be the worst design element of the whole car. A device you need, probably most useful in the dark, that's hidden high up, unmarked and inaccessible. Why not put it at the side, next to the first aid kit?

However, it's my particular super power.

To access the compartment have the tailgate at full height, so that gravity assists. Turn the knob so that the grip shape is parallel to the width of the car.

*Don't try and pull the knob*.

Instead use the tip of your fingers on the short end of the compartment flap, closest to the knob. If the knob is in the correct alignment the end of the compartment should just drop, with a slight pull from your fingers, and open. There are further plastic restraints part way along the flap which need pulling open.

Thanks, be safe out there.