Auto stop/start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

I'm not a big fan of auto stop start (never have been in any cars I've driven) and have always found it frustrating that I have to disable it each time I start the car. Maybe I have missed something in the manual but is anyone aware if it can be permanently disabled.

WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

No it can't be. You can switch it off for a single journey, and if you use Dynamic mode for instance it won't be on. But next time it will be on again.

I have always not been a fan, but have learned to accept it; it works a treat.
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

Thanks for confirming. Maybe I just have to alter my mindset and adapt to using it.
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

It has to be 'on' when you start the car to pass the regulations for emissions.

When I bought mine the dealer said he had a way of switching it off. Great, I thought. What he meant was he had set up a driving profile with it set to off - but you still had to change the driving profile when you got in the car, so it was no advantage, you were still pushing buttons.

It's just a natural thing now when you get in - swipe the screen and switch it off.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

If you set up a profile with it off, or use Dynamic which has it off as standard, then an equally fast workaround is to press the physical profile select button and select the profile of you choice by pressing the screen.

On my wife's car the auto stop/start can be switched off permanently and I always have it switched off.

But I've found on my XC40 it works quite well and I always leave it activated as my normal default.

It was a bit disconcerting at first being in the middle of a busy junction, stopped ready to turn right with the engine switched off. But I've got used to it and there's no discernable delay in pressing the accelerator, engine switching on, and away you go.

At the start I tended to switch into Dynamic mode but now it's Comfort all the time with the engine switching off at each stop.

In stop start traffic the car "learns" and only switches off 2 or 3 times in quick succession then during the rest of the slow traffic crawl the engine remains on.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I don’t know if this applies to the manual but in the auto if you come to a soft stop, the stop/start doesn’t cut in. Only a firm press of the peddle makes the system cut in.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Agreed Dermottdog.

And furthermore you can get the car to re-start just by easing off the brake pedal, so it's already running when it's time to pull away. Much smoother.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

72 dudes wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:44 pm Agreed Dermottdog.

And furthermore you can get the car to re-start just by easing off the brake pedal, so it's already running when it's time to pull away. Much smoother.
I have the auto-hold activated (button with the green LED near the handbrake switch) so easing off the brake doesn't do this for me as the auto-hold activates the brake when the car stops.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Hi,

Like many other XC40 owners I'm frustrated with having to switch off the Stop/Start function on every journey.

I'm a retired auto engineer and have tried to get the software that is allowed in other countries, especially the USA to disable the Stop / Start function on a a semi permanent basis, but because of emissions legislation in the UK and I suspect the EU the software update will not be sanctioned by Volvo, even when UK Volvo Technical Services say it's for the customer to decide on the update.

My friendly Volvo technician advised me that Volvo will not allow the software update in the UK (he would if he could) because of the Type Approval Legislation.

It very much looks like we will have to carry on switching off the function until out of warranty and then do the necessary backdoor software update!!!!!!
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

One easy option is to leave the software to do its job i.e. reduce emissions and a (small) reduction in consumption.

That way you'll relieve your frustrations as well. As I've said a few times I was of the same opinion originally but now just get in the car and drive. It works well enough and doesn't cause (me) any issues.

The only time it does rankle a bit is when I reverse onto my drive. I arrive at my house, stop to prepare and reverse and the car cuts out, I engage and start to reverse and it starts up. That's about it for me, my only frustration 😀