Auto stop/start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

Appreciate all the responses. Perhaps I should just trust the software and adapt to using it until it becomes the norm.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Personally, I don't even think about stop/start. The only time I notice it is when there are circumstances that stop it from working. I find it odd sat at traffic lights with the engine running.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Ronnnie

Post by Ronnnie »

I wish I could get my stop/start to work, it only worked for the first month of ownership, dealership has looked at it twice but couldn't find a problem.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

My stop/start was not working ( picked up on my 3 month check by the dealership but I hadn’t noticed). They ordered a new battery from Sweden. During the wait for the part to come in, it started to work. When I went back they didn’t fit the battery as it wasn’t required. It has been ok except for yesterday. It didn’t function once on a 26 mile round trip. I’m going on the same trip tomorrow so I will check again. The criteria for the stop/start function to operate depends on so much - see list.

4A2CC55B-6114-40A5-AD8C-FBC8FD29EFB4.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Mine does not work either. The only time it did activate was after a 150 mile trip which seemed to be enough to charge the secondary battery up. But the next day it did not work again. Si I think the battery is only charging very slowly and then not holding the charge.

The thing is do I want it fixed or not?
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I had an issue last year when the starter motor battery condition sensor failed. This stopped the stop/ start system from working.
The sensor was replaced very quickly and I’ve not had any problems since.
I would agree with Bobs comments above that I don’t usually give it a second thought.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

What is the difference between driving in Eco and Dynamic?

My last car was a Nissan Qashquai and after 2 years the battery went. When the RAC came to change my battery he said it’s down to the stop/start button as it’s unusual to need a battery after only 2 years.

Since then I have always turned off the stop/start button but I’m not sure if I should really.
Deleted User 2490

Post by Deleted User 2490 »

Eco saves fuel at the expense of performance. Dynamic give performance at the expense of fuel consumption.

Dynamic changes the auto gear box so that it holds onto a lower gear, eco does the opposite.
There are other differences that a quick search of the Volvo site will elaborate on.
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

Thank you Thunder grey. I only got my new XC40 at the beginning of lockdown so haven’t driven it very much.
Stay well xx
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So today, stop/start functioned within a few miles. Bizarre.
Obviously some criteria had bet met today that wasn’t met on the last time I used the car - exactly the same journey. 🤔
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.