Keeping the car ticking over

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Every few days I have been starting the car and getting it up to temp in the driveway. Then a short drive up and down our Close to keep the brakes free. Hopefully this will keep the battery charged for when I can use the car properly again. I have never looked forward to the monthly drive to a supermarket so much as I currently do. :D
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

Your neighbours must love you!

My car has gone into Standby mode due to no switch on for just over 5 days now. A single weekly journey to the supermarket doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

We hadn’t used our car for about a week and a half until we used it Monday just gone. The rear pads had seized on to the discs. It was a horrible experience - selecting reverse, accelerating but nothing happening. Eventually, with a bit of a bang, the car moved. The car had been washed prior to it not being used so I guess the pads just adhered to the discs.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

Most likely just surface rust on the discs. Happens with all vehicles with disc brakes when left awhile.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I've had that happen with quite a few cars, so now when I've washed the car I drive round the block to dry out the brakes. The rears still stick occasionally after standing for a few days but not as badly as when it has been washed and then not moved.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I was wondering what to do. Surely with a diesel such short drives are worse than none for clogging up DPF? Did have to deliver some hand sanitiser to someone yesterday and mine was fine after 10 days but what about three months? Any suggestions.
I have to say I have often left my car for two weeks while on holiday and have never had brakes stick.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

I've been driving for over 40 years and had many cars in that time. All of them, that had disc brakes, have rusted on the surface of the disc and have had temporarily stuck brakes after a short break from driving, some after a few days.

Mostly it happens when the car is parked on an incline.

It's just physics, metal rusts, surfaces stick.

If I'd ever left my car for three months between drives, I never have, I'd expect more issues than sticky brakes !!
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

If it's to be kept on your own driveway you could always just leave the brakes off and chock the wheels.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

If the car was wet I always test the brakes briefly a few times before starting out. Also, good to test when pavement is slippery and/or wet.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have read this string with great interest and can honestly say we have never had any problems leaving our car for extended periods of time, we go on holidays of around 1 to 3 months around 2 to 3 times a year and jump in and go as if it was never left, never had any problems, not even the battery.
This may be because we live in the south and a warmer, drier climate.
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD, Crystal White with Oxide Red Leather, Heated S/W, Intellisafe Pro, H K sound, Tempa Spare Wheel, Xenium Pack, Dark Windows,.

Part Exchange - Lexus RC300h F Sport, Sonic Red, 2017.