Keeping the car ticking over

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

I use a Ctek trickle charger as used in many car showrooms. Can be left on for months if necessary.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel

michael123

Post by michael123 »

Skyrimmer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm I have never looked forward to the monthly drive to a supermarket so much as I currently do. :D
Ha ha, yes.
Manual says something like driving for 20 min for over 70km/h once a week is required
SpamSpamSpam

Post by SpamSpamSpam »

My manual doesn't mention it is "required" or a speed. It says on page 579:

"To maintain the battery in good condition, at least 15 minutes of driving/week is recommended or that the battery is connected to a battery charger with automatic trickle charging.
A battery that is kept fully charged has a
maximum service life".

On page 437 it mentions that if the driver's display warns of low voltage then:

"...charge the starter battery by starting the car and then running it for at least 15 minutes - starter battery charging is more effective during driving than running the engine at idling speed while stationary".
snowmole

Post by snowmole »

How do you connect the battery charger? I used to use one on a 911 which connected to the cigarette lighter and kept the battery charged. I cannot see any reference to this in the manual or on line guide?
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

The most important thing is to drive the car long enough to fully heat the oil as this evaporates off any condensate that has collected in the engine and oil. Short trips around the block will actually do more damage than good as this promotes water condensing in the engine which starts acid formation etc.. Unless you can operate the car until it is fully heated up it is best to leave it sit.
TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

bdalameda wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm The most important thing is to drive the car long enough to fully heat the oil as this evaporates off any condensate that has collected in the engine and oil. Short trips around the block will actually do more damage than good as this promotes water condensing in the engine which starts acid formation etc.. Unless you can operate the car until it is fully heated up it is best to leave it sit.
If only the car had some kind of oil temp gauge, or even a water temp gauge would do !!
TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

snowmole wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:46 am How do you connect the battery charger? I used to use one on a 911 which connected to the cigarette lighter and kept the battery charged. I cannot see any reference to this in the manual or on line guide?
I would assume that the connection details will come with the charger.
TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

This is the Automobile Association guidance. Basically run for 15 minutes each week

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/a ... nance-tips

Which is exactly the same recommendation from the Volvo XC40 manual.

I've just been using the VOC app remote start setting to its 15 minute max setting.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

The most important thing is to drive the car long enough to fully heat the oil as this evaporates off any condensate that has collected in the engine and oil..

I guess that's a good reason, not to buy a new car that 's been hanging around in the showroom, during 2020.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ringer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:15 pm The most important thing is to drive the car long enough to fully heat the oil as this evaporates off any condensate that has collected in the engine and oil..

I guess that's a good reason, not to buy a new car that 's been hanging around in the showroom, during 2020.
The car comes off the assembly line and gets parked up = short journey/run time. It then gets put on the transporter = small journey/run time. It gets unloaded at the dealers = small Journey/run time. It then goes into workshop for preparation and plates = small journey/run time. This happens to every make of car, at every dealers, all the time I would think and wouldn’t make any difference if it’s been hanging around in the showroom.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.