Seat heating at auto start.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey

So today it was 3 degrees and I thought I’d give the auto start function a go. Started the car from the app and the car started. 👏🏻
After 3 minutes we opened the car via keyless entry and got in. To my surprise, the centre screen was more or less blank with a message to press the stop start button. One pressed, all the dials came on with. The heated seats showed that they were on (A was next to the seat icon indicating they had come on automatically) and we began our journey. The question I have relates to wether the seats actually come on via the auto start on the app or do they just come on when you push the start button. Because the centre screen was more or less blank, it was difficult to tell.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

lamptramp

Post by lamptramp »

If you have selected auto seat heat it comes on if the outside temp is lower than 10c. But I think you have to be in the seat and have the seat belt done up before it will heat the seat. If while you are driving and the outside temp rises above 10c the seat WILL NOT switch off automatically, You will have to switch them off manually. The rear heated seats will not come automatically, you have to switch them on each time you start the car, but again you have to be in the seat and seat belt done up.
Volvo XC40 Fusion Red 1st Edition T5 on order for October 2018. Took delivery 31st October 2018
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok, thanks. It sort of felt that way. It would be nice if, when you auto started, the seats came on too and were nice and warm to slide into. Perhaps there’s a safety reason why they don’t do it that way.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 2581

Post by Deleted User 2581 »

If auto-start, when engine starts, of the heated seats is set, and it looks like you have done this, then remote start of the engine using the App WILL auto heat the seats.

There is no requirement to be sat in the seats or to have a seat belt on.

Best to search and read the appropriate part of the manual for yourself, but that's what the manual says. Key words: Seat, Auto, Heated, Remote, Start, Volvo.

The same goes for the heated mirrors and screen.

A copy/paste from the manual says:

"Engine remote start also activates functions such as seat heating, heated rearview and door mirrors and rear window".

I would not have thought three minutes was anything like enough time to see the benefits of the engine remote start system - I would run for 10 to the max 15 minutes to see any appreciable heating.
Deleted User 2581

BTW engine remote start does not allow you to get in the car and drive away.

It says so in the manual.

That's why you are met with a blank screen, have to have the keys on your person, and a requirement to press the start button.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

StuckAtHome wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm If auto-start, when engine starts, of the heated seats is set, and it looks like you have done this, then remote start of the engine using the App WILL auto heat the seats.

There is no requirement to be sat in the seats or to have a seat belt on.

Best to search and read the appropriate part of the manual for yourself, but that's what the manual says. Key words: Seat, Auto, Heated, Remote, Start, Volvo.

The same goes for the heated mirrors and screen.

A copy/paste from the manual says:

"Engine remote start also activates functions such as seat heating, heated rearview and door mirrors and rear window".

I would not have thought three minutes was anything like enough time to see the benefits of the engine remote start system - I would run for 10 to the max 15 minutes to see any appreciable heating.
Ok. Thanks. I will give it a bit longer when I next use it. The seats take a while to do their stuff so I suspect you’re right👍
Deleted User 2581

If there's frost on the screen and mirrors then I find 10 minutes does the job.

I haven't got heated seats but suspect that the three minutes was your issue. Good luck.