Glasses Holder

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Picked my blonde version up from the dealer and fitted it today (cost £4.80 + VAT - incredibly good value!). When I ordered it my dealer said that they were not recommended for cars with sunroof because of the risk of damaging the headlining but I couldn't see why there should be a problem. My guess is that it's because the grab handle is difficult to remove - the flaps that fold back behind the headlining don't come out easily, presumably because the extra curves where this headlining fits round the sunroof make it much more rigid and it has less "give" to allow the grab handle's flaps to straighten out during removal. After a bit of wiggling mine did come out without causing damage.

Fitting the sunglasses holder defeated me at first - the flaps simply would not push into place. Then I downloaded the instructions from the internet (none were supplied in the Volvo packaging) and discovered that the flaps should be snipped off before fitting!! Easy after that, but why do they come with flaps anyway?

EDIT - Now I know why it isn't recommended for cars with sunroof - the finger cut-out is completely covered by the bulge in the headliner where it goes over the sunroof, so the holder can't be opened easily! I enlarged the finger cut-out substantially and all is now OK.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Gnomeface wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:30 pm
EDIT - Now I know why it isn't recommended for cars with sunroof - the finger cut-out is completely covered by the bulge in the headliner where it goes over the sunroof, so the holder can't be opened easily! I enlarged the finger cut-out substantially and all is now OK.

Useful tip thanks. I will take great care when I try to fit the two (!) that I have ordered but not yet collected.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Finally collected my 2 ordered sunglass holders yesterday. Invoice was for £3.81 each plus VAT.

Fitted them today - no problems. While I followed the instructions (sorry Bernard B) I ignored the advice to snip off the 4 retaining plates on each holder. That isn’t necessary if you can feed them in to each side of the nut plates. It just needs a little juggling, the same as is needed when easing out the similar retaining plates when removing the grab handle.

I agree the finger slot to pull down the holder is a little too high up when fitted into a headlining with sunroof. Thin fingers needed - or maybe a pull tag?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o