AC - on or off

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Leave it on..but use the different settings that reduce its use as appropriate..eg eco when I can (with reduced A/C) unless it is rainign and it steams up...I then switch to my own setting which is eco with the addition of extra air con.

Never had a compressor fail
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019

balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Had cars with auto AC for at least 20 years. Never turned AC off, never had a problem. Had my previous Volvo for 8 years with no AC problems.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
StewartM

Post by StewartM »

On. Leave on Auto. As others have said, compressor won't engage at very low temps. Modem compressors put far far less load on the engine than 20/30 + years ago. Fuel penalty small, but worth its weight in gold for the dehumidification if several people in the car with wet clothes.
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

Leave it on.
For the reasons above that it needs the lubricant to be circulated otherwise the seals will fail.
It will cut in and out as required and has a negligible effect on fuel economy other than high summer - when you need it.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Klanky wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm Leave it on.
For the reasons above that it needs the lubricant to be circulated otherwise the seals will fail.
It will cut in and out as required and has a negligible effect on fuel economy other than high summer - when you need it.
Thanks Klanky and to everyone else who responded. I’ll leave it on auto👍
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
grime

Post by grime »

I understand the reasoning behind leaving the AC 'on' which is OK here in the land of OZ and almost a necessity most of the year. it also seems to be the only way we can enjoy fresh air inside our vehicle (XC40).

I am disappointed however that I haven't found (discovered?) another way of enjoying fresh air in my face whilst driving. Having a window open at any sort of speed above city speeds seems unsatisfactory. Wind and road noise is really excessive and a disappointment to us, perhaps it is mostly tyre generated (Pirelli Zero tyres).

Have any of you forum contributors worked out how to enjoy fresh air via the vehicle ventilation / AC? Any suggestions?
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

Via the dashboard vents. The centre display has various fan settings that throw the air through them.
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

The AC can be turned off and then set the fan level to the level you like. I also set the temperature to a low value to avoid heating up the air.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I'm the same as you, just have it on when needed ie to de-mist and keep cool in the summer and just for interest, I have never had any problems with the aircon system over all the years, although we only keep our cars between 2 and 3 years.
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD, Crystal White with Oxide Red Leather, Heated S/W, Intellisafe Pro, H K sound, Tempa Spare Wheel, Xenium Pack, Dark Windows,.

Part Exchange - Lexus RC300h F Sport, Sonic Red, 2017.
Ronnnie

Post by Ronnnie »

I only put the AC on to demist the windows inside the car, I'm happy with it that way