Headlights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

MrParkson wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:04 pm So after another drive this evening, paying close attention to the lights, I have come to the conclusion something is not right with them, aside the fact AST is not operating.

I was being flashed by a large number of oncoming vehicles when lights were on low beam, it appears the beam is focused far too high, switching to high beam makes little difference to what I can see apart from it lights up the sky more! I would call this unsafe as I was flashed by a good 50% of oncoming vehicles... definitely an issue that needs correcting here in my case at least.
Mate of mine had this on his new BMW with LED lights, turned out the dealer had not adjusted them properly as part of the PDI, might be worth checking with your dealer that they are set correctly?
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D

MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

I've not yet seen anywhere I can adjust settings for the light level, will dive into the menus to have a look!
Telboy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 pm
Mate of mine had this on his new BMW with LED lights, turned out the dealer had not adjusted them properly as part of the PDI, might be worth checking with your dealer that they are set correctly?
That indeed could be the case, if I can't solve the problem then back to the dealers it is.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Andy S wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:17 pm Assume you have checked the settings on the headlight level - Not got it set as though you are towing a trailer etc?

Just a thought!
Checked in the car menu, no option to adjust manually, reading the manual I believe everything is adjusted automatically when a trailer is connected, worth a try though!
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

This is where the confusion arises for me. On this page:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/car-config ... mentum-pro

Scroll down and there's a graphic clearly illustrating AST.

Scroll back up and click the link for 'View standard features'. Under the heading 'Exterior', click the 'i' next to 'LED Headlights with Active Bending Lights' and you get a video clearly detailing AST and this text:
Our most advanced LED headlights provide exceptional light, help you see through corners and optimize your vision without dazzling others by constantly adapting the light pattern. As you steer, the headlights turn to illuminate the curve ahead. LED illumination allows you to enjoy high beam with even greater radiation and range. And you can stay on high beam all the time – when you meet or catch up another car, the headlights shade out just as much of your beam as needed to not dazzle the other driver. The greater illuminated area also benefits other road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists. The headlights are intelligent too: the high beam shuts off when you enter a city, but if you drive past an illuminated sign it stays on. This feature also includes fog lamps that help improve your vision when driving in fog or heavy precipitation. And facilitating low speed manoeuvring and reversing in the dark, they turn up to 15 degrees as you steer to illuminate the area close to the car. They also complement the distinctive design of your Volvo. Included in the Full LED headlights for all model variants except the T8 Twin Engine AWD.
Same for the other Pro models. I imagine it's been cut-n-pasted from the XC60/90 pages.

Although Customer Relations were adamant it's not available, I'm going to ask a contact in Volvo.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Alex I agree that does suggest it is included in FE models and PRO models, if you look at the same info on non pro models it only describes the bending and auto Hi Low lights.

Dealer has requested my car tonight for testing, regardless of AST not working I cannot drive around blinding everybody, hopefully that is a simple adjustment to make.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

AlexK, that's good content/summary to highlight (no pun intend). Volvo probably still have some wiggle room to say that there can be reduced functionality as the video has a caveat (local market variants etc) at the end of the video but there isn't anything of that nature in the text.

I think what is also key is that the title is "LED Highlights with Active Bending Lights" now better ties in with the spec description in editions 3 onwards (Dec -> ), but as the text points these also have AST. This seems to expand this to those that have ordered since early December.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

MrParkson wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm Dealer has requested my car tonight for testing, regardless of AST not working I cannot drive around blinding everybody, hopefully that is a simple adjustment to make.
Mr.P, this is really interesting news. Presumably this means that your dealer is also convinced that it should have an active AST.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Boomer wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Mr.P, this is really interesting news. Presumably this means that your dealer is also convinced that it should have an active AST.
At this stage yes my dealer including manager is convinced it should have AST, confirming it was in the spec list at time of ordering. They wish to test my car at night to confirm it is not functional... I do worry that once confirmed they will have a long talk with Volvo head office and come back saying sorry but not included, odd that they believe the demo car has AST operating, I shall try an confirm this this evening.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

The online Build configurator still includes the attached diagram, video and text for Bendy Lights which implies AST. I await feedback from Volvo Customer Relations to my query, and will also try to get some more night driving in to test the beam shape.

Volvo XC40 Active Bending Lights (AST).jpg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Foxracer

Post by Foxracer »

The Volvo specification brochure that lists the FE as an option states that the specification is based on the R-Design Pro. The R-Design Pro includes "Active Bending Headlights with Adaptive Shadow Technology"

My FE didn't come with the folding boot floor that it was supposed to either :(
XC40 T5 First Edition | Black Stone | 19" Wheels | Flame Thrower | Tow Bar