Headlights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

PJM you could well be correct, your lights aren't focused too high like mine then? I'm going to be hopeful and hope I have AST lights but not the software to operate them, hence my problems! Caught in the middle of the changeover of AST to non AST or something! (Very much doubt this is the case but I'll go with that for now, positive thinking and all that haha)

Will update tomorrow :)
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!

early adopter

Post by early adopter »

No sign of AST on mine, picked up today. 20" and headlamp washers present though.

The Auto High Beam is definitely present but I need to read the manual, it looks like it turns high beam off but not back on? On the dash I get the "A" on dipped beam and on main beam but have only managed to get it to switch from main to dipped so far.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 pm
PJM you could well be correct, your lights aren't focused too high like mine then?
No they seem to be set just fine. When testing tonight I tried various combinations including putting high beam on manually and not clicking the auto switch. I then didn't dip manually to wait and see if any shadowing came in, but oncoming motorists advised me that my high beam was still on! Otherwise, on the odd occasion the auto dipping can be slightly late. I have had that previously on a Merc. But other than that I wasn't getting any irate messages from others.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

early adopter wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 pm No sign of AST on mine, picked up today. 20" and headlamp washers present though.

The Auto High Beam is definitely present but I need to read the manual, it looks like it turns high beam off but not back on? On the dash I get the "A" on dipped beam and on main beam but have only managed to get it to switch from main to dipped so far.
Was the A symbol blue when on auto high beam? Maybe you do need to check the switch settings on the stalk. It worked fine for me both dipping and then reverting to high beam.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Yes, A symbol blue when on high beam then when detected oncoming car went to dipped and then didn't go back. That said, I only gave it a short trial, and at relatively low speed on country lanes. Need to try it a bit more. Definitely no sign of AST. Bending very evident and effective.
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Car back from dealers this morning and headlight issue fixed. As expected no AST, I think the dealer was more surprised by this than me. On the plus side the manager was extremely apologetic and is offering compensation of some form, giving me a few days to think what may make up for it! Any ideas?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:19 pm Car back from dealers this morning and headlight issue fixed. As expected no AST, I think the dealer was more surprised by this than me. On the plus side the manager was extremely apologetic and is offering compensation of some form, giving me a few days to think what may make up for it! Any ideas?
Good news that he/she offers compensation. We can count that as a Volvo conmitment! I will need to think about my options.
Foxracer

Post by Foxracer »

I placed my order back in early December. I've just gone back and checked the original order form spec list and it doesn't mention AST (even though the brochure I had did). It states only "LED Headlights with Active Bending Lights" - which is present. I do have the auto high-beam though. It also mentions "Headlight Cleaning" and I do see the cutouts on the bumper, so I'm assuming it does have this. Not sure if there is a way to actually trigger it manually as I understand it only does its thing under specific conditions.

There's nothing on the spec list about keyless entry or remote start, but it does have that. Although not pre-conditioning it would seem (I tried from the app and it failed).

I was all ready to kick up a fuss with the dealer, but after checking what I actually ordered, it seems correct (except for folding boot floor). The car is awesome, and I love it, so I'm just gonna leave it I think :)
XC40 T5 First Edition | Black Stone | 19" Wheels | Flame Thrower | Tow Bar
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 pm
MrParkson wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:19 pm Car back from dealers this morning and headlight issue fixed. As expected no AST, I think the dealer was more surprised by this than me. On the plus side the manager was extremely apologetic and is offering compensation of some form, giving me a few days to think what may make up for it! Any ideas?
Good news that he/she offers compensation. We can count that as a Volvo commitment! I will need to think about my options.

Just had an official answer from VCUK's Customer Relations team to my raising of the two points about missing headlight AST technology and the missing Parking Climate facility/Parking Heater. Here is the text with the dodgy use of the English language included: -

"We have further investigated your queries with our Product Department at VCUK and can confirm;

1. The Active Bending Lights with Adaptive Shadow Technology is not available on the XC40. There was an error noted, however this has been confirmed to our dealerships and we understand this has been confirmed back to you.

2. The Parking Climate feature and the Parking Heater is not available in the UK market. The page referred to is the brochure, which is for the global market and available if Auxiliary Fuel Fired Heater is fitted. Unfortunately we would not be able to retro-fit this function."

I am not accepting this first brush off attempt of course!

So MrP, I would be interested to hear how your compensation offer is proceeding. Presumably it's with the dealer and not VCUK?
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Thanks for sharing that info PJM, I would think they will essentially copy and past that to all further enquiries!

At present I am waiting to hear back from dealership manager, who is in a slow email conversation most recently with VCUK. My dealer is wanting to hear the official word from VCUK before proceeding, but had made it quite clear that if VCUK do not offer anything, then the dealership will. In the initial chat with the dealerships manager, he talked of perhaps accessories, a cheque payment, hand the car back (won't be doing that!) or even trading to an XC60 with AST! To what value any options may be is unknown right now, but he did say I will be in the drivers seat for negotiating as they really value good feedback on the customer satisfaction survey. These customer surveys are worth a lot of money to these company's so I believe.

So to summarise I don't know yet, aha.

On a slightly different note, they did say they will source a small rubber Swedish flag for me!