Headlights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

It’s not adaptive shadow, it just flicks between full and dipped automatically.

I was being followed by a BMW with their equivalent of AST at the weekend - really quite dangerous. The lights were dancing all around me. It was really distracting when trying to navigate a sharp 90 degree blind corner at night. It also meant I couldn’t tell if another car was coming the other way around the corner, so didn’t know if I needed to dip mine! I wonder if this is why Volvo have removed the option - not such a good idea after all.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

lhaldy

Post by lhaldy »

I upgraded to the adaptive bending headlights. If this is what you mean, they bend around curves and corners with the car. They are pretty cool and are helpful because they light up the road as you are turning rather than straight ahead. Hope this is helpful.
vladiacob

Post by vladiacob »

lhaldy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 pm I upgraded to the adaptive bending headlights. If this is what you mean, they bend around curves and corners with the car. They are pretty cool and are helpful because they light up the road as you are turning rather than straight ahead. Hope this is helpful.
So do you have Active High Beam ? I don't understand what difference is between Active High Beam and AST, from what I see in presentations AHB is AST for Volvo ? When you have a car in front of you or another car is coming to you are the headlights switching between high beam and lower beam or is it dimming only a part of LEDs in order to illuminate the sides without tangling the other cars ?
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Adaptive lights it purely cornering lights, as described they turn with the movement of the steering wheel essentialy. Complimented by auto high low beam, that purely switches between high and low beam when neccesary. The AST dancing part illuminating light is purely not available on the XC40 as of now. Volvo does offer proper AST on different models however.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!