Headlights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, the XC40 apparently does not come with adaptive shadow technology for the LED headlights.

Part of the Volvo website says that it does, as did the press release at launch. Pro models have 'active bending lights' and 'active high beam' so they alter their pattern according to steering input and automatically switch between dipped/main-beam when it detects other road users, but it doesn't shade out part of the beam pattern as they do on, say, V90 et al.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

That appears to have changed between Edition 2 and Edition 3 pricelists
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Presumably, even First Edition cars have active high beam, etc, but not adaptive shadow tech?

They're still excellent headlights, I only asked Customer Relations to confirm because I'm a particular fan of the shadow tech on other models. Certainly won't be cancelling my order over it!
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

First editions are R-design Pro's with effectively all other available options added on. So yes should have high beams etc.

Adaptive shadows would have been nice (and who knows perhaps the early orders might still get them?? Interesting timing of order question and what one thought one might be getting) but equally not essential. Disappointing though (and misleading) if Volvo are still advertising that they are fitted.
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

This is a shame as the tech on my Audi A4 (Matrix LED) is simply superb, would've been nice to have this on the XC40.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Boomer, do you know when it changed from edition 2 to edition 3?
I believe my order was placed during either edition 1 or 2, on that basis as far as I am aware my order should include active shadow lights, if not then technically I am not getting what I have ordered... no deal breaker but a bit disappointing if so!
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Edition 3 is dated 4/12/17. But I don’t think it was actually up on the website till 12 December but that probably doesn’t count for anything.

[Edition 2 is dated 16/10/17]
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Thanks very much Boomer! Ordered well before edition 3 in that case, will have to see what the dealer says when I bring this up! At least I don't have long to wait to find out for sure.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

No problem. Let us know how you get on/the reaction!!
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

So just checked the Configurator and for the Inscription Pro (and other XC40's), plus showing on my order from the dealer for my FE (build week 26/2), LED headlights with active bending lights and when you dive into the description provided by Volvo, they say the following which seems to include a shadow function?? The plot thickens :-)

Our most advanced LED headlights provide exceptional light, help you see through corners and optimize your vision without dazzling others by constantly adapting the light pattern. As you steer, the headlights turn to illuminate the curve ahead. LED illumination allows you to enjoy high beam with even greater radiation and range. And you can stay on high beam all the time – when you meet or catch up another car, the headlights shade out just as much of your beam as needed to not dazzle the other driver. The greater illuminated area also benefits other road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists. The headlights are intelligent too: the high beam shuts off when you enter a city, but if you drive past an illuminated sign it stays on. This feature also includes fog lamps that help improve your vision when driving in fog or heavy precipitation. And facilitating low speed manoeuvring and reversing in the dark, they turn up to 15 degrees as you steer to illuminate the area close to the car. They also complement the distinctive design of your Volvo. Included in the Full LED headlights for all model variants except the T8 Twin Engine AWD.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D