Headlights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm, I think you are going to struggle to get Volvo to agree on the parking heater per se. I think they'll argue that it wasn't on the spec listing as set out in the pricelist (in any version that I can see), The brochure is merely an indication and it's not one of the UK options.. The pricelist (and it is pretty comprehensive in that regard) gives the actual spec details that you are ordering. The more interesting question might be though can it be retrofitted to a UK car IF the customer wants it, but presumably that will come at a price.

The AST seems to be a much more reasonable challenge - given that this was specifically spec'ed out in at least the Edition 2 pricelist. If that was the one you and dealer both worked to then you (and a few of us) might have grounds for compliant/challenge. It might then go to what is in your contract about what happens if there is a change in price/spec's.

Either way kick up a fuss - and hopefully with more coming behind (but it might not be many as the pricelist spec's changed in December) - Volvo might have an acceptable response/solution.

Thanks.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boomer wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:14 pm
pjm, I think you are going to struggle to get Volvo to agree on the parking heater per se.
Oh I agree it may well be a struggle of course, but ....... I don't think its a question of specification, or the lack of an option etc. I think it is though a clear case of misleading marketing. Or at least the marketing of a feature which manufacturing later took out of the production plan for the XC40, and no-one told the customers. The best source of evidence I think is the main XC40 brochure which has not changed in its version since I ordered in December, although the price list has 3+ times.

If you look at pages 22 & 23 which give the illustration of a day in the life of the Volvo On Call app it describes three times of day where the user warms up the car. At 07:30 the heating up could be done with Remote Start (it doesn't say that) but at 17:15 and 22:20 the Parking Heater is specifically referred to, as is the use of the timer feature. Bingo! You can't set timers with Remote Start - you need Parking Climate.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Just had an interesting call from my dealer, he claims his demonstrator car DOES have Active Shadow Lights and are functioning correctly, he is going to get back to me tomorrow with more info hopefully.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Neil76

Post by Neil76 »

Unfortunately, the fine print at the back of the brochure states:
"Some information may have been updated since this brochure was printed. Some of the equipment described or shown is only available at extra cost. Before ordering, please ask your Volvo retailer for the latest information. The manufacturer reserves the right to make changes at any time, without prior notice to prices, colour, materials, specifications and models."
They've got their get out clause 😣
FE D4 Crystal White 20" Alloys :D
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm Just had an interesting call from my dealer, he claims his demonstrator car DOES have Active Shadow Lights and are functioning correctly, he is going to get back to me tomorrow with more info hopefully.
It could be we do have it but ..... all I can say is my last trip out at night had all other headlamp features working but I never saw any shadowing. When a car approached it auto dipped and then went back to hi beam. I wonder if AST only clicks in under certain conditions and not always when “dipping”. I wonder if it doesn’t click in if the auto hi beam switch is set to on?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

On my XC60 with AST you can definitely see the lights ‘ dancing ‘ . It’s weird at first but you soon get used to it. Part of the lights are still on high beam and part on low.
tonyD

Post by tonyD »

All XC40 Pro models get Adaptive Shadow Technology, so If First Edition is based on R Design Pro specs it should come with this facility and remember it only works when car exceeds around 25 - 30 MPH on mainly unlit Roads.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Neil76 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm Unfortunately, the fine print at the back of the brochure states:
"Some information may have been updated since this brochure was printed. Some of the equipment described or shown is only available at extra cost. Before ordering, please ask your Volvo retailer for the latest information. The manufacturer reserves the right to make changes at any time, without prior notice to prices, colour, materials, specifications and models."
They've got their get out clause 😣
"Thank you for pointing that out on behalf of the defendant M'lud, however I must refer to the plaintiff's statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, wherein ....."
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

So after another drive this evening, paying close attention to the lights, I have come to the conclusion something is not right with them, aside the fact AST is not operating.

I was being flashed by a large number of oncoming vehicles when lights were on low beam, it appears the beam is focused far too high, switching to high beam makes little difference to what I can see apart from it lights up the sky more! I would call this unsafe as I was flashed by a good 50% of oncoming vehicles... definitely an issue that needs correcting here in my case at least.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Assume you have checked the settings on the headlight level - Not got it set as though you are towing a trailer etc?

Just a thought!
T5: Crystal White: 1st Edition: 20" Wheels: Lava Orange: Rubber Mats: Tow-bar: Proud owner since early April :D