Parking brake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
White

Post by White »

From time to time I do not use the car for periods of 2 to 3 weeks. Due to experience with previous cars of brakes binding on during such periods, I would leave the (old fashioned) hand brake off and choc the wheels. Is it possible to leave the electrically operated brakes of an XC40 in an "off" position to prevent such binding? It is kept in the secure garage so security is not a problem.
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey

Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

There is a setting in the menu system that activates the parking brake automatically when the engine is STOPPED. If that setting is unchecked in the menu then the brake won't come on when the engine is cut.

You would also have to deactivate the "auto-hold when STATIONARY" mode via the button on the centre console. The one with the green LED on. Switch it so the LED is off.

You can then chock your car. Haven't tried it, just my supposition.

If you leave your car in P, and you should, you don't necessarily have to chock your wheels as the gearbox is mechanically stopped from revolving and the car shouldn't move. Provided it's not on a steep slope that is.
Last edited by Deleted User 2525 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enneo

Post by enneo »

Never ever have left the handbrake on when locked in a secure garage on a flat surface. Whilst it is a great thing to have the option on an XC 40 of auto handbrake applied when switching off, afraid it is of no use to me. Always leave in gear if a manual or P if an auto box. Just make sure the auto hold is off if you use it, before switching the engine off the vehicle.
XC 40 R-Design T4, Bursting Blue, Xenium Pack, Convenience Pack, Intellisafe Surround Pack, Tempa Spare Wheel + Jack