MY21 LAUNCH

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2501

Post by Deleted User 2501 »

My philosophy is to keep things simple. Might be a pessimistic approach but if things can go wrong I've found they do go wrong. Sunroof's leak, Software is buggy, electronics fail, motors stop working. If I can get a basic spec with a decent engine, without all the bells and whistles, that works for me. It's cheaper and less likely to go wrong.
It's been said here before but the XC40 in my opinion is a high £20k car to low £30k car wrapped up in a designer logo, it ain't no £40k+ car, not even a mid £30k car, even if you can easily spend that on one.

jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

VolvoDriver wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm It's been said here before but the XC40 in my opinion is a high £20k car to low £30k car wrapped up in a designer logo, it ain't no £40k+ car, not even a mid £30k car, even if you can easily spend that on one.
All cars are like that though. You can have a Ford Focus for 20K list price but want an auto box with decent poke, adaptive headlights and blind spot monitoring and it'll be 30K.

In the end it's worth what everyone is paying for it, and it doesn't seem base specs are flying off the forecourts.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

VolvoDriver wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm My philosophy is to keep things simple. Might be a pessimistic approach but if things can go wrong I've found they do go wrong. Sunroof's leak, Software is buggy, electronics fail, motors stop working. If I can get a basic spec with a decent engine, without all the bells and whistles, that works for me. It's cheaper and less likely to go wrong.
It's been said here before but the XC40 in my opinion is a high £20k car to low £30k car wrapped up in a designer logo, it ain't no £40k+ car, not even a mid £30k car, even if you can easily spend that on one.
This is why I seriously considered another Skoda Superb Estate but...3.5 years in one already and didn't fancy another 2-3 years even if it was very reliable and frugal. Definitely a better built car than the XC40 which feels decidedly Kia/Ford ish in terms of build quality. By comparison the Superb feels like a Audi A4, sans maquillage.

Fingers crossed it won't be a lemon...
Deleted User 2501

Post by Deleted User 2501 »

Mine's a T4 AWD RDesign with absolutely no extras. I bought it for the looks, the engine and the drive train.
I paid low £30Ks new. In my opinion it's what the car's worth compared with others and no amount of extras make it worth more.

£40k plus for one, no way.
EdScott95

Post by EdScott95 »

I think people assume that a car worth 40k should be a certain level of quality, as if it’s a threshold. I currently drive what is generally considered a ‘40k’ car and it’s AWFUL, and when I tested the XC40 it felt far more impressive.

I think, given the roundly strong reviews of the XC40, in full knowledge of its pricing, you can assume it’s worth the money. there’s a few people with rose tinted glasses of what a ‘40k’ car should be.

Accepting a car is worth more because it’s a Merc, Audi or BMW is cutting off your nose to spite your face. The XC40 feels far closer to being worth what it costs than the 3 above that I’ve driven. Just my experience!
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

leveragedbeta1 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm
VolvoDriver wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm My philosophy is to keep things simple. Might be a pessimistic approach but if things can go wrong I've found they do go wrong. Sunroof's leak, Software is buggy, electronics fail, motors stop working. If I can get a basic spec with a decent engine, without all the bells and whistles, that works for me. It's cheaper and less likely to go wrong.
This is why I seriously considered another Skoda Superb Estate but...3.5 years in one already and didn't fancy another 2-3 years even if it was very reliable and frugal. Definitely a better built car than the XC40 which feels decidedly Kia/Ford ish in terms of build quality. By comparison the Superb feels like a Audi A4, sans maquillage.

With you on that one, came from Superb L&K saloon and it was far better quality than my XC40. I’ll be going back to the Superb for my next car...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
leveragedbeta1

Post by leveragedbeta1 »

Rifleman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm
leveragedbeta1 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm

With you on that one, came from Superb L&K saloon and it was far better quality than my XC40. I’ll be going back to the Superb for my next car...
You've got me thinking about cancelling my order...
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

SKODA :lol:
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

bdalameda wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 amSKODA :lol:
Yes, SKODA. Brilliant cars, well built and very reliable in my experience.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

bdalameda wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:42 amSKODA :lol:
Nothing wrong with Skodas, unless your joke book is from the 70s
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19