Playing music from USB

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
SbMalta

Post by SbMalta »

I have a USB (flas drive) with all my music in it and all the music is in different folders according to Genre eg. a folder with rock, another with pop music, and so on.

When I inserted the USB in one of the two available slots, the car is re-ordering and sorting the songs alpabetically and I canno skip from folder to folder. Apparently the car is sorting the music files according to the metadata :cry:

Do you guys have any solutions to this?

How do you play your favourite music?

Thanks

Deleted User 2501

Post by Deleted User 2501 »

I play my USB by the genres and grouping that the metadata gives i.e
Artist, Album, Genre etc. Or random shuffles of the entire list or Artist, CD, Genre subset.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

I got fed up playing with metadata to organize music files bought a cheap Ipod on ebay no problems ca n choose artist, playlist, genre etc
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

it's probably what Volvo wants you to do, given it has an iPod option on the central console.

i'm playing Spotify over bluetooth, but otherwise i'd have done the same really
lgm006

Post by lgm006 »

I have the same problem. I wish I could see my songs sorted by folders. Is this impossible?
papalimafoxtrot

Post by papalimafoxtrot »

Click on library (left hand column) you should be able to playback by artist or album, and even search
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

I'm finding the built in tech in my new car horribly buggy both on board Spotify and the USB. Thankfully I ordered Android Auto which has been faultless.

I have a 64gb USB which is pretty full. I've used it for years in my previous Lexus cars. It's as basic as they come. Artist Folders and Album Folders under that. Minimal MP3 tags (the Lexus was fussy) so literally ARTIST ; TITLE ; ALBUM ; YEAR ; GENRE and a cover photo 120x120 pixels

Worked for an hour instantly so I thought great, but since then all I get is the spinning circle when I select USB. I've removed it etc and it's still fine when I plug into my computer but never seems to start up again. Admittedly I've net left it for longer than 10 mins? Is this something I just need to wait for it to catch up?
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

My file structure is even more basic. No folders just individual song titles. The sensus media player sorts these for me by genre or album or artist if I choose to select them in the library. I have never had any problems but you would expect it to work with a simple folder structure and you should not have to wait long for it to start playing. Something is off. Do you have Gracenote switched on?. Maybe thats causing a problem. Alternatively maybe it is a corrupted format file.
I assume you have read the following

Screenshot_20200927-124514_Volvo Manual.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-124632_Volvo Manual.jpg

Maybe you could try copying a few files to another USB and see if it works.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

Thanks skyrimmer.

Tried it without online gracenote but still same. Final throw of dice tried usb in a pc I didn't copy the files on and it had file repair errors, so I let it scan and repair and it now works. Switched online gracenote back on too and still working.

Thanks for the formats, just added a few extra FLAC folders too to try and break it but still working.