Discount? Best time to buy?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ThreeGraces

Post by ThreeGraces »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy this year - no particular hurry so I can wait till I can get any good deal and could pay cash.

Is there any good time of year to buy? Did anyone get any good discounts or any free extras?

Thanks.

White

Post by White »

I bought mine at the end of November 2019. Bought it from dealer's stock as he had what I was looking for and any other "nice to have but not essential" extras would have required a wait of some time.
It is always difficult to trust dealer's speil about what a good deal you are getting but I was told that he was keen to deal as he had his quarterly quota to achieve. They probably do have targets, so near the end of quarters may have an influence.
Being a member of the Caravan Club entitles you to a discount on volvos and is worth mentioning to the dealer. I believe that being a member of other organisations may also have similar benefits.
When getting near the end of negotiations it is worth asking for "dealer fit" items such as mud flaps to be "thrown in". It probably costs them little but any freeze is worth getting. Good luck!
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey
ThreeGraces

Post by ThreeGraces »

Thanks White. Do you know what other organisations are given a discount? If I pretend I'm in the CC they may try to flog me a tow bar, :lol:

Is it worth dropping into the showroom every month to see if there's anything going or does that look too keen?!
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We purchased using CarWow and picked up a pretty reasonable discount, also shop around dealers that aren't local to you....
ThreeGraces

Post by ThreeGraces »

I've just noticed I can get a discount through my professional institution - makes all those years of fees almost worthwhile!
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

ThreeGraces wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 pm I've just noticed I can get a discount through my professional institution - makes all those years of fees almost worthwhile!
It is worth checking out the Volvo owners club https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/affinity.shtml - you have to be a member for a few months before ordering so if you have the time certainly worth looking into. Someone posted about it after I had brought mine and said you get this on top of any discount from the dealership and I seem to remember they got something like 10+% off the price in total.

I used Car Wow offers to move the best possible offer (the cutting my own throat blah blah blah) by nearly double! It took a bit of work but saved myself £££ so I was happy. I could possibly have got it cheaper from somewhere 100+ miles away but having a local dealership only 6 miles away any problems I can pop in and get it sorted out.

My last bit of advice - if you are from the UK be careful of any TAX changes and BREXIT at the end of this year.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
ThreeGraces

Post by ThreeGraces »

Thanks Darren, the Volvo Club might be worth sinking an initial £35 in - it seems a similar discount to my professional one, but with further perks in the future too.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Have you considered buy a low mileage used one, there are a few around much cheaper ?
Just a thought
T5 First edition Crystal White
GCxc40

Post by GCxc40 »

Can’t help with the best time of year to buy but I used Car Wow at first and the best offer I received was about 9.5 % but that was over a hundred miles away.

My local dealer offered 6.5 ish but were happy to go with the caravan club affinity discount.

This added up to over 10.5% for my spec which I was happy with considering the apparent demand for the car.

I bought to keep five years minimum so purchased the five year service deal which ,having owned Volvos before and paying main dealer service bills, I thought was also a decent deal.

They also offered zero finance if required.

I agree that low mileage second hand is a good option but I found that for something less than a year old the price difference to new wasn’t enough to compromise on what I wanted and also miss the new car experience which whilst short lived is still nice.

My dealer also bettered the price I was offered by the two car brokers for by three year old Mazda which was less likely to happen if I’d bought second hand off the forecourt.

Good luck with your negotiations.
T4 FWD Inscription ,Xenium Pack,Intellisafe,Winter Pack,Towbar, Glacier Silver
Deleted User 2484

Post by Deleted User 2484 »

You'll find that the Carwow site is very good. I've bought two cars not actually using the site itself but using the prices that it generates. The best at 9 - 10‰ discount. The dealers usually, with me at least honour the maximum discount. It's not in their interest to offer less than the maximum offered by Carwow.

Another technique, to combine with the Carwow 9% discount, but it depends on your financial situation is once the discount is agreed buy the car via a PCP scheme and take advantage of the manufacturer deposit contribution. Some offer a £1,000 to £4,000 contribution of free money if a PCP deal is entered into.
Then pay a month or so of the deal then cancel it. Paying off the deal with a lump sum or cheap loan in full. That way you get to keep the manufacturer deposit contribution.