Missing speakers?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I was listening to some music today whilst cleaning out the back of the car.
I noticed that there was no sound coming from the speaker grills at the bottom of the rear passenger doors, only the ones at the top by the handles.
I’m assuming the HK system will have speakers here and all other cars have nothing?
I’ve never noticed this before as I’m always sat in the front, but it seems a bit miserly if that’s true.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Should be speakers in there. The standard setup has eight speakers. Two in each rear door, one on each front door, centre dashboard and air woofer.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-models/xc40/specifications/features#item-cc3fcca0-e6fa-49a9-bef0-8bce056d92a8

Can’t find the diagram showing the layout anymore, but fairly sure I’m right with what I said.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
FreshStart

Post by FreshStart »

NitramA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21 pm I was listening to some music today whilst cleaning out the back of the car.
I noticed that there was no sound coming from the speaker grills at the bottom of the rear passenger doors, only the ones at the top by the handles.
I’m assuming the HK system will have speakers here and all other cars have nothing?
I’ve never noticed this before as I’m always sat in the front, but it seems a bit miserly if that’s true.
I think you are correct, the standard 8 speaker system doesn't have speakers in the bottom of the rear door.

Standard 8 speaker system
x1 Woofer in dash
x1 Speaker in centre top of dash
x2 Tweeters in A pillar
x2 Speakers in front doors
x2 Speakers in TOP rear doors
8 SPEAKERS in TOTAL

Harmon Kardon System
8 Speakers as above but higher quality
Plus 5no additional speakers:
x2 Speakers in BOTTOM rear doors
x2 Speakers in rear roof
x1 Sub woofer in rear wheel arch
13 SPEAKERS in TOTAL
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

FreshStart wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 pm
NitramA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21 pm I was listening to some music today whilst cleaning out the back of the car.
I think you are correct, the standard 8 speaker system doesn't have speakers in the bottom of the rear door.

x1 Woofer in dash
x2 Tweeters in A pillar
8 SPEAKERS in TOTAL

Harmon Kardon System
x2 Speakers in rear roof
13 SPEAKERS in TOTAL
I think you’ll find that this info is incorrect for the XC40. Sub-woofer is behind the dash, no rear speakers in roof for example...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
FreshStart

Post by FreshStart »

Rifleman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm
FreshStart wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 pm

x1 Woofer in dash
x2 Tweeters in A pillar
8 SPEAKERS in TOTAL

Harmon Kardon System
x2 Speakers in rear roof
13 SPEAKERS in TOTAL
I think you’ll find that this info is incorrect for the XC40. Sub-woofer is behind the dash, no rear speakers in roof for example...
You are wrong, as I pointed out there are two variations- the standard 8 speaker, and the Harmon Kardon 13 speaker system at greater cost.

Both 8 and 13 speaker systems have a Woofer in the dash. However the HK system has an additional SUB Woofer above the rear wheel arch.

The higher price system also has additional speakers in the rear roof, and bottom of rear door. All this info is in my first post.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Found this. I take it that No9 is some sort of amp or dac?

B58E1EA1-DD94-4FE4-99F6-7EA88BC10884.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
FreshStart

Post by FreshStart »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:42 pm Found this. I take it that No9 is some sort of amp or dac?
Yes, Amp I believe.

Numbers 6, 7 and 8 in the diagram are the additional Harman Kardon speakers - bottom of rear door, roof, and over rear wheel.

For the interested here are the parts/part numbers/cost of all the available XC40 speakers, both Premium (With Premium) and Standard (Without Premium). As you can see the Premium speakers not only differ in number but in quality (and price).

https://www.volvocarparts.info/2019-XC40-T5-R-Design-Sound-System-s/99833.htm

michael123

Post by michael123 »

There are 3 levels of sound system in XC40 IMHO - Standard, High-performance and HK
Shamless

Post by Shamless »

michael123 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:57 pm There are 3 levels of sound system in XC40 IMHO - Standard, High-performance and HK
Not true I'm afraid; only two levels. Standard and High Performance are one and the same. Then you have Harman Kardon (HK).