Excess condensation?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Spaceryder

Post by Spaceryder »

This is the first winter with my XC40 and I'm noticing a lot of condensation on the inside windows on cold days, enough to need a decent wipe. I know all cars can get it, but it seems an awful lot more than my previous Audi and BMW.

Just wondering whether I should expect this or does this seem unusual?

Second query: the rear window heater is not particularly powerful and leaves moisture in-between the bars. Once again, anyone else experienced this or am I just being overly fussy!?

Apart from that, absolutely loving the car.

Thanks for any replies.

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I have noticed the same thing on front and rear windows. The max climate setting takes a while to make any impression so I generally wipe over with a micro fibre cloth.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Not noticed any condensation inside the car at all. Does your car have a panoramic roof that might be leaking? Do you have your climate set to something silly like 24+ degrees? Do you regularly turn your AC off?

AC does not only cool the air, but also dries it, and really should be left on permanently. If it's not in use as it's already cold, it shuts itself of. Making the cabin very hot and then parking up will often cause condensation. Having the AC off or having the climate on "re-circulation" a lot will keep the air inside the cabin humid, and will then cause condensation overnight as the car cools down.
Spaceryder

Post by Spaceryder »

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a panoramic view and haven’t noticed a leak but will have a thorough look tomorrow. Secondly, I usually leave the AC on but do like it warm, say 22C. Am fairly certain it’s not set on recirculate but will check.

Lastly, I noticed this condensation after not having touched the car for a good week as I walk to work and to the shops. Wonder if that inactivity makes a difference?
Gears

Post by Gears »

22C is normal so no concerns there. It happening after a week would in my mind point towards the pano roof not being quite right. I believe there is a long thread on this forum about pano roof leaks, so you might be affected. Even if you don't see any standing water, you might still be letting humidity in.

Either way my car always been bone dry even after a week, so in my mind there is probably something off with yours. Worth investigating and perhaps checking with dealer.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I wouldn't worry too much if i were you. I had the same exact happen with my "old" Mazda 3 2016.
Air-con and everything has been fine when driving it daily, but since the Volvo came the Mazda sat in the lot, sometimes for 4-5 days in a row.

I was also surprised to see excess condensation on really cold mornings, i'd really say it's normal and not something to worry about.
To test if this is true for yourself as well, maybe take it out for a 10-15mins spin every day, and then see if you still hit this build-up?
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

Same situation with mine, seems to mist-up more than my previous vehicles?
XC40 / FE / T5 / 20" / Osmium Grey / 16/10/18
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

Same situation with mine, seems to mist-up more than my previous vehicles?
XC40 / FE / T5 / 20" / Osmium Grey / 16/10/18
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I've noticed the same recently (no sunroof). For the first year my car was garaged and I had no problem but since moving it is kept outside and sometimes won't be used for 4-5 days at a time. The result is condensation on the inside. As I've always kept my cars in garages over the years I had just assumed that this is what happens when cars are kept outdoors. The MAX setting on the climate control clears things quite quickly but it is a bit of a nuisance. Not sure if this is just a trait of the XC40 or a more fundamental fault. My other half now also keeps her car (a Mini) outdoors it exhibits the same issue but to a much lesser degree.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18