T3 Oil consumption

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
oilyvolvo

Post by oilyvolvo »

I have a XC40 T3 auto new in March 2020. We did a very low mileage in the first 12 months ( approx 4,000 ) due to covid.
The car went in to the Volvo dealership for it's first service March this year. Then 3,250 miles later in late September the car came up with a warning " engine oil low re fill with 1 litre of oil . I was shock . I have NEVER had to put oil into any of the many new cars I have had in the past under these circumstances. Did the garage put enough oil in the car at the service or is my car using 1 litre of oil in 3,250 miles of the service ?
I have as the garage for comments / advice but no reply from them even after me requesting an answer twice.
Any body got a similar problem ?

RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I had a new Vauxhall Cavalier many years ago and that used 1 litre of oil per thousand miles. The handbook (and garage) stated that was normal!

My XC40 had its first service at about 3,000 miles back in March, when the oil was topped up (it was charged for, anyway) and it has done about 6,000 miles since. The oil level is now showing as having dropped to about 3/4 in since then.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Our T3 is just approaching 20000 miles and since the top-up at 5000 miles it's used none - that's including a 1000 miles round trip last week.
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

I remember having two Astra coupes which were identical mechanically. The first one didn’t use any oil. The second needed topping up every 2000 miles. It doesn’t surprise me that people have different experiences but I can’t explain it, especially considering the exacting standards of engine building these days.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
MrRilo

Post by MrRilo »

Have ordered my first Volvo and gone for a T3. My last 2 cars have been SEAT with a 1.4tsi and a 1.5tsi from new. I had to top up the oil on both before the 1st service, when i questioned the dealer, I was told this is normal with small modern petrol engines with turbos. To be fair, after the first service, they never used a drop of oil over the next 2 years.
T3 Manual
MY22 Momentum
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

My understanding, all TFSI engines during the first few thousand miles have a system that squirts oil under the pistons to protect during the bedding in process, and this process uses some oil, then, providing they are gentlley run-in, they use little or no oil - well that is the later ones, the ones before 2012 - oh dear!!!