T3 Oil consumption

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Happningj

Post by Happningj »

I have a T3 manual that has covered 5200 miles and the oil level is showing as low but doesn’t require topping up yet. Obviously if this is standard I’ll live with it but if it is unusual it is a bit of a worry.
There is a thread on this on tech issues but only has a few replies.
What is everyone’s experience (T3 only)?

Thanks
XC40 T3 Inscription | Glacier Silver | Charcoal

K1t

Post by K1t »

Happingj, my T3 has just covered 2600 miles and the oil top-up warning light came on and advising me to add 1ltr. of engine oil (about £8.40 from the dealer) To me as an Automotive engineer (retired) this is perfectly normal and as I would expect from a bedding-in, tight and high revving V V T i new engine. Things should improve, for the better, as its milage increases, so IMO, no need to worry, but just as a precaution, get yourself a 1ltr. bottle of top-oil from the dealer, keep it handy, then add it when instructed, simple.

ps. I`m a bit 'old school' when it comes to oil level checking and much prefer the good old 'Dip-Stick' method rather than relying on 'sensor' info. Although a little bit messier to some, this analogue approach is more reliable to me, than the many 'defective sensors' I have seen replaced over my working years, some resulting in serious engine issues! So now having to rely on senor-only info in my XC40 T3, is a bit of a stretch for me, but I`m sure Volvo know what they`re doing .....right?
XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

6 months on from my last service and 3000 miles later my oil level shows

20200105_143739.jpg

XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Happningj

Post by Happningj »

Thanks for that K1t,
I had an Audi A3 that used to drink oil. It got progressively worse during the warranty period but was assured by the dealer that this was “normal”. When the warranty expired I was invited to contribute between £6000-10000 to get it fixed so I’m a little bit wary!
The Volvo dealer was a little surprised at this so they will investigate this week and I will report.
I’ve already invested in 1l of oil just in case.

Cheers HJ
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I was a bit surprised at handover when the salesman told me that the oil was on max. so that it would last until the service. Surprised because I was always told that the ideal level was half to three quarters full and overfilling is a no, no. Ok, being on max. isn't overfilling but it is a bit borderline.

I've never had to put much oil in any of my cars between services and now that I'm retired and mileage is reduced I'm expecting not to have to put much or any in the Volvo.

When my wife had her Mini it was overfilled on one service and I had to get them to drain some of the oil out. Not rocket science is it to get that right is it, one of the most important parts of the service.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Our MY2020 T3 has just hit 5000miles and the low oil warning pinged up yesterday, ordered a 1 litre bottle to top it up.
Interested to see if consumption will drop off, first petrol car for many years so not used to topping up between services.
Happningj

Post by Happningj »

Took it to the dealer yesterday and turns out it was a software problem. It’s been recalibrated/updated and is back to normal. No oil needed.
Thanks for all your help. Bring back the dipstick!
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I entirely agree about a dipstick. What can go wrong with it? It is also easy to see if the oil has been changed at a service, but with a sensor you have to trust the garage it has been done. Mr D3R had constant oil overfilled messages in its first year, after the first service they filled it about 75% full, but it goes up by nearly a centimetre when it is hot.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

ACertainAge wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:24 am I entirely agree about a dipstick. What can go wrong with it? It is also easy to see if the oil has been changed at a service, but with a sensor you have to trust the garage it has been done. Mr D3R had constant oil overfilled messages in its first year, after the first service they filled it about 75% full, but it goes up by nearly a centimetre when it is hot.
Indeed agree. It solves a problem that didn't exist like keyless entry. Really keyless simply adds another vector for theft.
My old BMW had a problem on the particulate filter and so the thing that is supposed to get hot and burn off all the black soot stopped working and the car didn't tell me (newer models have an alert) and so it died and then I was up the river so to speak.. Expensive to fix!

If the sensor in my volvo goes on the oil I will be very upset!
Must check the oil level next time I use it!
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

ok checked my oil in my T5. Nearly done 10,000 miles since Feb. Oil level is reading a completely full. Now I'm not sure if the sensor is broken or if the car hasn't used ANY oil in nearly a year
bah
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD