Does anyone regret buying an XC40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Blue

Post by Blue »

I am seriously considering the purchase of an XC40 but after reading posts in this and another forum I'm a bit nervous about what would be my biggest outlay for a car.

I am looking for comfort with a bit of luxury and solid reliability but am seeing a lot of negative comments. Issues with panoramic roofs, cheap plastics, unwanted vibrations/noises and software glitches seem too common.

I'm aware that someone unfortunate enough to have an issue with a car may be more likely to make a comment than someone who is content with their purchase so wondered if people would like to express their opinions on their purchase of the XC40.

I was first drawn to the XC40 by seeing one in a carpark and then read/viewed the many favourable online reviews so am a bit shell shocked after reading so many negative comments on this and the other forum.

I would be moving from a petrol Mazda CX-5 that is well kitted out and hasn't given me any bother. My choice would be between another CX-5 and an XC40 with a few of the packs to bring the spec up to the CX-5 level and I don't want to make a mistake. My heart is set on an XC40 but I don't want a car that will give me heartache.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

Everything has it’s pros and cons. Cars are no different. Our car has a non working heated driver seat. It will be attended to early January I hope. I did a lot of research before I laid out my hard earned and I don’t regret it (mind you, we’ve only done 500 miles). I visit this forum every day and some things are occurring time and time again (the boot release button for example). It’s pretty obvious that either the design or fixing of the switch has caused issues. My switch seems ok so it’s been addressed I think. I think there is a troublesome vibration issue too reported by some. I’ve been at all the speeds mentioned. No vibration has been detected in my car.

In the past I have purchased new cars from a so called premium brand. Golf No 1 had a chip of paint missing from the bonnet edge as you looked out from the drivers seat and a ‘dampened’ glove box which wasn’t and nearly broke your kneecaps when unlatched. Golf No2 had scratches on the bonnet, roof, boot lid and the tops of all 4 doors (the primer was visible). The dealer offered us a respray or a replacement car. We opted for a new car. Golf No3 had a paint defect shaped like a clothes iron underneath the top coat. The door had to be resprayed.

The choice of your new car, whether a Mazda, a Toyota, a Volvo or any other manufacturer won’t make much of a difference regarding issues. They will probably contain something you’re not entirely happy with. Good luck with your purchase.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Hi Blue, welcome to the forum.

I bought mine sight unseen just after they were announced and took delivery a month after the showroom launch..

I’ve now has the car 21 months, done 19.5k miles, average 31.2mpg and very happy.

As Dermottdog says above any new car can have problems, and like everything the people who comment most are those that aren’t happy. My Daughter had a ex demonstrator Golf a couple of years ago. The paint chipped horribly and when the clutch went at just over a year old VW didn’t want to know. I know someone who bought a Range Rover at the same time as I got the XC40, paid twice the price and within 6 months had got RR to buy it back and replace it due to faults.

Whatever you choose the dealer can make a huge difference to the whole experience. I’ve purchased over 12 new cars and I’ve been lucky that it’s usually been a reasonable experience. Again this time I was treated as a person not as a sales figure and it helped a great deal when the car was 3 weeks late arriving from the factory.

I drove Subaru’s for 19 years without any problems so the Volvo had a hard act to follow. So far it’s managing very well.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Blue

Post by Blue »

Thanks for the replies Dermottdog and PC40.

I agree that all cars can have issues as I've had a few with Mazda cars over the years so I'm ok with that aspect of things.

My CX-5 is the first car I've had with a sunroof and as I enjoy that feature I would like a panoramic roof in my next car. I was smitten with the XC40 as soon as I saw one so was horrified when I began to read tales of woe relating to the panoramic roof in the Volvo - bulges in the glass, leaks etc. When that is put on top of the other issues being reported it made the Volvo sound like a car to avoid and not at all like the car being lauded in the reviews - even Which magazine give a fairly good report without mentioning any of the issues being discussed on forums. It all made me wonder if it's a matter of the unlucky few making more comments than those who are perfectly happy with their XC40.

I am looking for a car that brings a 'feelgood' factor with it's luxury and reliability.

To quote 'Which':-

"Drivers of the Volvo XC40 should be pleased to know they're driving one of the most reliable cars on the road, based on our latest reliability survey. The car scored an impressive five out of five stars for reliability.

77% of owners reported no faults whatsoever in the past year, which is better than the average (74.5%) for cars of this age."

I just wanted to know if owners find that statement to be true.

Once again, thanks for the replies. I hope I get more comments about the car, whether good or bad, before I decide where to put my hard earned.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I can only recommend the XC40. A real quality car that is fun to drive.

All makes/models will have faults and forums are magnets for people who wants to talk about the problems with their cars to the point that faults get magnified. People who don't have faults don't post anywhere near as much.

I spent my hard earned cash on a brand new XC40 and I don't regret it in the slightest.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Blue

Post by Blue »

Thanks for the comment Blastpipe.

I spoke to my local dealer on the phone last week and am now beginning to think that a visit to the showroom may be worthwhile.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I also can't recommend more the XC40.

The major disappointment for me is the fuel economy, I am driving in the city and it is awful.
Multimedia sometimes bothers me with its sluggishness, especially Spotify.
But I hope Volvo will improve it. September's update was already a big deal, it was much worse.

Overall it is a joy to ride and very convenient car, quite compact for navigation in the city traffic, spacious inside though and with luxury appeal.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Hard act to follow from a modern Mazda - I had a top-spec 2015 Mazda 6 which I replaced with a top-spec 2018 C-class Mercedes, the Mazda was dare I say it better!
We replaced my wife's 2017 Tiguan with an R-design XC40 and feel the build quality is similar although the Volvo trim is better. As my wife also said, the Tiguan was utilitarian.
If I'd had my way she would be driving a new top-spec CX5 but she wanted a 'brand' and the XC40 offered the beat compromise.
Premium

Post by Premium »

Not regret as such but I wish I'd waited a while. I think I'd have bought the soon to be released Golf.

Had a Golf for some years and I just couldn't fault it - power, ergonomics, genuine premium build - construction and materials. Can't help but have the idea that everything is on the cheap with the XC40.

Wires are visible under the seats, wires are visible (red ones at that) in the passenger footwell. Rear facing vent ducts are loose under the front seats; that's the design, they aren't faulty. Ticket holder doesn't hold the tickets; they fall between the window and dash. Sharp plastics; that literally do cut you, particularly the calf as you step out. Bonnet doesn't always catch on both catches; sometimes only one holds until you notice the bonnet/wing gap.

I'm keeping it. The issues for me are small but are there nonetheless.
But the Golf just worked and didn't have any issues. I certainly didn't need to go on a VW Golf forum to find out if anyone else was experiencing the same issues.
The XC40 seems to have a premium name without an associated product finish.

As I say I'll keep it, but it's a VW next time for me.
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Hi Blue,

I don't know if Im really in a proper position to give a review as we have only had our XC40 5 weeks this coming Friday, but so far we have no problems to report, and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.
My only "slight" complaint is the MPG, it really is pretty terrible round town and doing the small journeys to and from the supermarket etc, but on a long run we have had 42mpg a few times which is pretty good for a car of this size and weight I feel - we have the T4 2.0l petrol, 1000 miles in we are averaging 31.7mpg.
I understand your worries regarding the comments, and in a way I wish I had never read them as the complaints regarding "cheap plastics" would probably never crossed my mind if I hadn't of read them on here, another comment Ive seen is everything is fine in the cockpit from the waist up, but what exactly do people expect the door bins etc to be made of? seems a bit OTT to me.

We had a mazda 3 sport nav prior to this from brand new, if too was a lovely car, only issue we had was a problem with the "city braking" system warning light which was constantly on. The Mazda was 2 litre petrol and we got 36mpg over 5 years, but I never drove it as careful as I am currently driving the Volvo, if I had, then I expect we would of got low 40s.

So all in all, the XC40 is a lovely car, and it only gets favourable comments from friends and family.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.