Indescribable noise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

I have a noise. It doesn’t happen all the time but only when driving for 20 plus minutes. It disappears after a short while. It’s almost like some sort of venting is going on. I’ve only heard it when it’s quiet in the car (radio off, windows up etc). I’m going for the 3 month check after Christmas. I’ll say something then but any ideas? Rob.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Number6

Post by Number6 »

Too many beans perhaps!
😀
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Number6 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:33 pm Too many beans perhaps!
😀
Beans no but cauliflower cheese has the same effect🙂
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

I heard it today too. Like some kind of electronic noise, coming from the speedometer. Did you find a solution for this?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

No. Original post dated 8th December. Haven’t driven it since then☹️
Gears

Post by Gears »

Could be a host of things. Perhaps the automatic air-conditioning is blowing air into a specific component/section of the car e.g. the cluster if it gets too hot from being in operation?
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Gears wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 am Could be a host of things. Perhaps the automatic air-conditioning is blowing air into a specific component/section of the car e.g. the cluster if it gets too hot from being in operation?
You are maybe right. The strange thing is, the sound is kind of "electronic", and it is not a "ventilation" sound.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Trafford wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm
You are maybe right. The strange thing is, the sound is kind of "electronic", and it is not a "ventilation" sound.
Hmm, can't think of anything but could be something as harmless as a stepper motor/servo being operated to full clockwise to full counter-clockwise actuation. The type of routine that is done to ensure an actuator isn't stuck and fully opening and closing it keeps it from getting stuck.
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Today I heard the same sound from the front of the car, very close to the Volvo logo. Could be the same sound actually.

My main concern was NOT to have this sound all he time in my ears while driving, as it could drive me crazy
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Solved but not cured!!

It a suspension issue when the car has been driven for a few miles. It doesn’t do it when cold which is strange. It’s not a massive issue but more of an annoyance. It might disappear if the car is jacked up and dropped.