XC40 T3 Auto Tremble

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

The gearbox will shift to neutral mode when the vehicle is stationary and drive is selected. You should be able to hear this normally as a change of tone when you stop and again when you release the brake pedal. Maybe you can feel it too. Whether what you can feel is normal or excessive, you should try another T3, they all have the Aisin AWF8G30 gearbox.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

If that is the case, swifting to neutral then definitely this is what i feel. Possibly due to 3 cylinder engine you feel it more.
I will try to check that with a demo car
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

Hi
Following up this topic i am starting to believe that when car is almost to complete stop automatic transmission swifts
to Neutral. During this process car is trembling. When i start again it happens the same. Other T3 owners have reported the same in Greece and wonder if UK friends experience
Something similar, especially those with T3 versions.
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

Also moving at very slow speed 1-2 km/h (while manoeuvring) feels like car is shaking.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

ChrisGR wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:29 am I am sorry i mean the Auto Start/Stop function that turns off engine. I have that disabled
Can you set the drivers' display to show real time consumption instead of the default trip mpg, if you haven't already?
Then look if the tremble coincides with the consumption going down from 0.4 to 0.3 and finally 0.2 gph (since you're stationary) at an interval of a few seconds between each change.

Mine with a T4 does the same, and i feel it's when it hits 0.2 that transmission actually disconnects from engine and the fluid inside (being a torque converter) reaches a static state. Maybe you're experiencing the same?
ChrisGR

Post by ChrisGR »

Dear Ciuncky

This is a very interesting appproach. Seems you know lots of inside technology and i am surprised that VOLVO certified engineers didn’t come with such an explanation so far. Definitely i has to do with engage/disengage transmission phase. This is when i feel it.
However, i am surprised VOLVO has designed it like this. It ruins the drivers experience.
I will get the instant consumption and get back to you
EmPeeGee

Post by EmPeeGee »

As far as I am aware when stopped in Drive, the car remains in Drive, it doesn't change to Neutral. When you lift your door off the brake the car creeps forward in Drive.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I think it's designed to stay in D for a few seconds, but if you are stationary more than 5 seconds it seems the car takes a bit (it's nearly untraceable) to start moving. Probably why you also have to hit the OK button to restart Auto Cruise after it stopped the car for a bit.

I don't know much about cars, but i sort of noticed that and correlated the 2 things :). Trembles/rumbles go down, fuel consumption goes down. As it's a torque converter and not a double-clutch, i imagine the workings are much more complex and the shape of the rotor can have various outcomes.

Again, i might be terribly wrong, as it's just a guess and as they say, correlation does not imply causation
EmPeeGee

Post by EmPeeGee »

When stopped in Drive, the car remains in Drive, it doesn't change to Neutral. When you lift your foot off the brake the car creeps forward - in Drive. It will only go into Neutral when you explicitly change it to Neutral.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

EmPeeGee wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 am When stopped in Drive, the car remains in Drive, it doesn't change to Neutral. When you lift your foot off the brake the car creeps forward - in Drive. It will only go into Neutral when you explicitly change it to Neutral.
Are you certain? Most gearboxes will shift to neutral while stationary, so although it will ostensibly be in D from the driver's viewpoint, it will actually be operating in neutral.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel