Key not found

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi

When parking this morning my xc40 cut out and won’t restart. The dashboard message says key not found even though it’s in my hand! Any suggestions? My local garage says they never heard of this issue!

Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

Has the battery failed? Try placing it where it suggests in the manual..

Screenshot_20191206_124333_com.volvocars.manual.jpg

T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
buddie000

Post by buddie000 »

Have you tried one of the other keys? Sorry if this is stating the obvious.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I get this error sometimes as well.
maybe once a week, and when it happens I place a key closer.
And yes, I replaced the battery..

Sometimes I can't lock the car while the keys are in the pocket -- I need to remove them and bring closer to the car.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

michael123 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:03 pm I get this error sometimes as well.
maybe once a week, and when it happens I place a key closer.
And yes, I replaced the battery..

Sometimes I can't lock the car while the keys are in the pocket -- I need to remove them and bring closer to the car.
That's very strange as I have never had a problem with keys in my pocket, even if keys in a hoodie under a coat.

This maybe a silly question, but you have not put a cover around the key fob have you?
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I do have a cover, a leather though..
I remind I had this issue also before my cover arrived
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

michael123 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:12 pm I do have a cover, a leather though..
I remind I had this issue also before my cover arrived
Is it both keys are just one of them?

If you get to the bottom of this please post what the solution was in case anyone else has the same problems.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

Hi all, I got this message too, using my fob key. I drive a First Edition from April 2018. My guess is that the battery is going flat
Do other FE users experience this too, and what can be done. Other than buying a new fob for a much too high price
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I replaced a battery on a completely new car after merely 4 months.
Things improved quite a lot, however sometimes I still have a 'delay' in recognizing the key by car. I.e. if I approaching the car too fast, I can't open the door right away. Sometimes when they key is in the pouch, car also does not see it -- but not always so (!)
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

michael123 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 am I replaced a battery on a completely new car after merely 4 months.
Things improved quite a lot, however sometimes I still have a 'delay' in recognizing the key by car. I.e. if I approaching the car too fast, I can't open the door right away. Sometimes when they key is in the pouch, car also does not see it -- but not always so (!)
Are you talking about the sports key OR a remote with knobs on it (I'm referring to the sports key)
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)