No under bonnet insulation

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Had a look under the bonnet for the first time today. I was surprised to see there was no heat or sound insulation on the underside. More worryingly there was ice (frost) all over the bottom surface. Checking the manual the illustrations seem to show some sort of cover. Perhaps this was dropped as a cost cutting measure. The car is very quiet despite this but I am concerned about the ice buildup on these colder days. Am I worrying over nothing? Is there insulation on the higher spec models? Is it safe to get something off eBay to attach myself?
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

That is very strange.. I have insulation on my bonnet underside. I have a T4. Maybe it differs depending on engine?? (I wouldn't have thought so though)
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

I wouldn't be concerned with ice build up. After all the engines hot and this would soon disperse.

It should have sound insulation though, I have a T4 and insulation is present. Not over the whole underside just the central part.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Interesting. It must be possible then to order it.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

If you will notice that the engine has a large soft molded sound dampening cover over it that takes the place of the insulation usually installed under the hood/ bonnet.
ExSeaForty

Post by ExSeaForty »

bdalameda wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:48 pm If you will notice that the engine has a large soft molded sound dampening cover over it that takes the place of the insulation usually installed under the hood/ bonnet.
Not true. While my T4 does have a "large soft moulded sound dampening cover" on the engine it also has insulation attached to the underside of the bonnet.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

Same here... That 'soft' top on the engine is part of Volvo's protection for pedestrians. Better for their heads to impact squidgy plastic than the engine block.

You need someone else with a T3 to comment on whether they have insulation.

Failing that, go to your dealer and ask what is going on with your car.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Ive got the T4, and its got insulation covering the whole of the bonnet lid.

Surely insulation on the bonnet lid is standard across all models???
Last edited by Gray1969 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I will certainly check it out with the dealer.
ExSeaForty

Post by ExSeaForty »

Gray1969 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:44 pm Ive got the T4, and its got insulation covering the whole of the boot lid.

Surely insulation on the boot lid is standard across all models???
It's getting stranger...

My T4 R Design has insulation on the underside of the bonnet but it only covers the central part.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as covering the whole of the bonnet lid.

BTW we are talking of the bonnet in this thread rather than the boot. The boot of my car has a plastic underside, there's probably insulation under there, but I can't be sure.

At 28mins 40secs into this video you can see the insulation as is on my T4's bonnet.