T3 or T4

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gamation

Post by gamation »

kivapin wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 pm Olá Pedro,

I'm also from Portugal and I just ordered a T5 Twin Engine.
I understand your valid concerns about charging points.
In my case it won't be a problem since I'll be able to charge at home every night and my daily commute is about 50 km.
But one of the reasons I chose the hybrid is because the taxes are a lot less, meaning that a T5 hybrid is actually less expensive than a similar T3!
And if you can buy through a company then you get a further 10k euro rebate because the IVA (sales tax) is deductible.
If I understood correctly the combustion engine is similar to the T3 but with 180 hp (plus 82 hp from the electric for a total of 262 hp).
Maybe you're aware of these numbers but I just thought to raise the point because the fiscal part really makes a difference!

Abraço,
Francisco
Olá bom dia Francisco!

Yes.. the T5 Twin Engine should be a great car and probably it would make sense to me if I could find free chargers at work! I did not understand your statement regarding the T5 Hybrid being less expensive then the T3 because of the taxes. If I configure a new T3 RD 163cv Geartronic 8 Vel. FWD it will cost 45 098 € (just base - no extras). So the taxes for this specific model here in Portugal are ISV 2 855 €. If I then select a T5 RD Twin Engine 262cv Geartronic 7 Vel. FWD it will cost 50 823 € (just base - no extras). Sure, the taxes will be just 410€ for the hybrid but the base price is very different. It's a 5K difference. How do you say the T5 hybrid will be cheaper here in PT? 5000€ in petrol for less than 10k Km/year.. it's a lot of petrol!

In my understanding the "help" our government give us to push us into buying low emissions cars it's around 3k but only for 100% EV cars - not plug-in Hybrids (please do correct me if i'm wrong). The "help" it's the low ISV tax when you buy the car - which is great - i'm not complaining :) but not really enough to push me into buying such an expensive car just to.. save on fuel!

I'm do not own a company so I do not get Tax rebates. I'm sure that would be the exception.. not the rule.

Thanks Francisco and good luck with your new car!

gamation

Post by gamation »

lfpcorreia wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:12 am Viva Pedro,

I do around 15 to 20km a day and also started by looking at the T3 RD manual, that with the the xenium, versatility pro, park with 360 and metallic paint would cost me around 45k. So I’m wondering how could you spec it additionally up to 52k?!

I wouldn’t consider the base T4 over the spec’ed T3 for mainly city driving. The T3 has more than good enough engine for that purpose (I tested them both including manual versus auto).

After ordering I found out that I would actually save money going with the t5 twin engine momentum pro with the same specs and additional 19” rims. So I changed my order to that config that costed me an extra 4k (49k in the end).

Isn’t there really a way you could install a power outlet in the shared garage? Portugal’s law has evolved to support installing power outlets for phev in shared garages. Maybe you could consider it..

I’m also wondering from where in Portugal you are cuz for the quote you got you could easily make your order at “my dealership”, even if it involves traveling, and save some money! Let me know!

Anyways I hope you end up with the new car you want!

Regards,
Luís

Olá bom dia Luís!

Regarding the 52k mentioned in my post. It's really very easy to reach this number when configuring a new XC40 - even the lowest T3 3 cyl engine - hence my post :) To give you my example, my config is a T3 RD Auto. So it's 45 098 € (just base - no extras). The extras I selected are Intellisafe pro, Park assist (full), Winter, Xenium and Versatility pro. I then added the spare wheel and, the fog lights and the glove compartment lock. No more packs or extra options not even metallic paint. This price for this unit here in PT is more than 51k. If you then add the "Preparação e legalização" expense for new cars (around 550€) it will be almost 52k. So.. really really easy! If I select the T4 or the T5 hybrid instead of the T3 the price would go up around 5 to 6k.

Regaring the power outlets for phev in shared garages: I'm sure I could do that but the the price for the "car package" would go up (I'm not sure how much.. though). I really do not put a lot of miles yearly to justify such high price I guess..

Thank you very much for your comment!

Boa sorte com o popó novo! :)

Abraço
PG
gamation

Post by gamation »

This weekend I test drove a T3 (manual gearbox and 156hp). I really did not notice a lot of differences between the T4 and this one. No noise, no vibrations - I think the T4 was a bit noisy even. A really good car - I do not think I will select the T4 instead of the T3. The one thing I noticed was less power on the motorway - I had to work with the gearbox more often than with the T4. I did not tes drive the T3 geartronic and I could be wrong but I think the automatic gearbox would mitigate this "issue". I'm not a "speedster" - i mostly drive on the motorways at speed around 140 km/h / 150km/h at most.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs! The T3 engine is really great!

Regards
PG
kivapin

Post by kivapin »

gamation wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 am I did not understand your statement regarding the T5 Hybrid being less expensive then the T3 because of the taxes. If I configure a new T3 RD 163cv Geartronic 8 Vel. FWD it will cost 45 098 € (just base - no extras). So the taxes for this specific model here in Portugal are ISV 2 855 €. If I then select a T5 RD Twin Engine 262cv Geartronic 7 Vel. FWD it will cost 50 823 € (just base - no extras).
Hi Pedro,

Sorry for my misleading enthusiam!
You are right and my wrong estimate was due to the dealers discount and some differences in configurations.
Some 6 months ago I had a proposal for a T3 manual that amounted to almost 50K.
When I went back last month to inquire about the T5 twin engine I got a proposal for slightly less, but the dealer included a 5k discount.
Fortunately I'll also be able to deduce the IVA (only because it's a hybrid costing less than 50k, wouldn't apply with any of the other available engines) so that in the end the car will cost around 41k.

I will miss the manual gearbox and am a bit worried about possible problems in a new model (couldn't even test drive it) but hopefully I won't regret the choice.

I wish you good luck with your car!

Francisco
T5 TwE R-Design Black - BusinessPro, VersatilityPro, Xenium, Rear Camera, Spare - Ordered: 20 November 2019, Delivered: 17 March 2020